PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Automatic Electrical Outlet Layout Per Code

Neil Osher
2016-08-10, 03:31 PM
My boss just asked if there is a way for Revit to layout electrical outlets per code in rooms automatically (with minimal clicking). We are a custom residential architectural design/build firm. Anyone aware of such a plugin? Or perhaps that tool exists on the Electrical tab? We are using Revit LT so don't have access to that tab. If that does exist then he would consider upgrading to the full version.

Thanks
Neil

david_peterson
2016-08-10, 05:35 PM
I'm going to guess that the short answer is no, but the longer answer would be yes.
Based on the little bit I know (from many years ago) outlets need to be place on any wall longer than 2' and at least one outlet every 8 feet along a wall.
The 8' along a wall shouldn't be much of an issue if you know a lot about arrays and nesting families, you should be able to get something to work. Just not sure it'll be hosted to the wall.
But I've seen wiremold families where you pick 2 point and it'll place the correct number of outlet and space them evenly. So in theory you should be able to do the same thing with with an outlet.

Now the better option would be to try to write something in Dynamo. Load in your model, select the walls that you want to have outlets placed on and with some magic Dynamo should be able to place those. I've seen similar concepts done so I'm guessing that it's possible. It would take lots of sorting, but once completed you should be able to use it on any project.
Here's link to someone that's already started looking at the idea.

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/placing-devices-in-the-wrong-location/2018

With Dynamo, just about anything is possible.

Neil Osher
2016-08-10, 06:32 PM
Thanks Dave. I am very familiar with arrays and nested families. I'll look into this method for the long runs. Not hosting to the wall is fine with me.

The Dynamo option is probably a bit much for what we need currently.

I appreciate your input.

Neil