PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Linking Revit Models

Revituser2016
2016-08-11, 10:50 AM
Dear All,

I have made floor wise Revit Models with several families loaded for a six-storey building. Now I am linking these individual Revit files to the Central File so that the Central file has all the floors loaded completely with families. But when I try to click each revit family in the Central file it cannot be clicked individually and appears just as a drawing. Kindly advise what is the method by which I can integrate all the individual floor wise revit models into one file where I can click on each family and check the properties of each just like a normal Revit Model.

Thank you.

KimDTU
2016-08-11, 12:18 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. But I think you mean:
You created 6 different models, one for each of the floors?
Then you linked all of them into a 7th model?

If this is the case: Why would you do that? Why not just model it in the same model?

You can check the properties by pressing "tab" while mouseovering the wanted object.

damon.sidel
2016-08-11, 02:39 PM
KimDTU has one answer: press Tab while hovering over an object and you can select it and see its properties.

Here is a second: If you want to combine the models permanently into a single model, you can select a link in the main file and in the Ribbon, click the Bind Link command.

What was your intention by modeling each floor in separate models then linking? Perhaps if you explained your reasoning a bit, there will be another solution.

david_peterson
2016-08-11, 07:03 PM
This method would make a little sense if you have one floor model and you want 6 copies of the exact same thing. I could see that as a reason.
Other reason would be if you have an extremely large floor plate and want 6 people to work on each floor.
But you're question seems to have been answered. Tab Select the object to get its properties.

Revituser2016
2016-08-15, 05:08 AM
Many thanks for your replies.

In fact, the floor is extremely large and 6 different people were working on each in order to finish the task as early as possible. But before submission we had to integrate everything to a single model. We would want to combine everything permanently into a single one.

Thanks

david_peterson
2016-08-17, 01:47 PM
Many thanks for your replies.

In fact, the floor is extremely large and 6 different people were working on each in order to finish the task as early as possible. But before submission we had to integrate everything to a single model. We would want to combine everything permanently into a single one.

Thanks

If the floor plate is that large I'm wondering how possible it is to provide a single model. When I get buildings that need to be split I usually pick an expansion joint and split the models there. That seems to work the best since there's a usually a nice clean cut there. On a previous project we ended up with 90+ models between all trades. We left them split at the turn over as there's no way that file would be usable. Even if it was just the combined Arch models I'd be looking at a file that would be over 4GB. Might be closer to 6GB. The hard part is that while you can technically Merge the models by binding them together that would require you to do all of the documentation in one model as sheet information won't transfer.
Just something else to think about.
What's the owner want?

rbcameron1
2016-08-19, 03:26 PM
For future reference, screen shots are always helpful. Might get people to understand what is going on sooner than reading and re-reading descriptions and narratives.

viswaprakash.18732103
2016-11-14, 08:10 AM
While doing link, all tool buttons are in freezed state. I cannot export the IFC also. Please resolve me.

damon.sidel
2016-11-18, 02:36 PM
While doing link, all tool buttons are in freezed state. I cannot export the IFC also. Please resolve me.

This is a different problem/question than was asked in this post. You'd might get a better response if you start a new topic