PDA

View Full Version : 2016 automatically assign user info to new views?

jessica.146534
2016-08-26, 05:05 PM
Is there a way to automatically assign a user's name to views that are created? Similar to how Revit creates default 3D views and names it {3D - name}.

I spend way too much time cleaning up extraneous sections/elevations/etc that my team creates and even though I send email after email asking people to delete them if they are done using them, it's like a cancer in my project that I'm constantly battling. If Revit automatically named them "Section 123 - name" instead of just "Section 123" it would help me figure out who my biggest offenders are.

Ideally this would also happen with reference planes (talk about cancer in a project!) but I think I'm asking for too much with that one.

Does any one have any tips on how they deal with this? I know this is a bit "big brother" but I have a big team working on a big project so this gets our of hand quickly. Thanks!

Jessica

damon.sidel
2016-08-26, 09:01 PM
Ideally this would also happen with reference planes (talk about cancer in a project!) but I think I'm asking for too much with that one. Does any one have any tips on how they deal with this? I know this is a bit "big brother" but I have a big team working on a big project so this gets our of hand quickly.

With respect to reference planes, deal with it! ;) I'm half joking, but not. Yes, they start to clutter things up, but they don't print and their visibility can be dealt with in a variety of ways. I deal with them in a few ways:

1. Ignore them.

2. Turn them off on my "pretty" drawings. I have a number of view types for each category. For example, for plans I have "*Working Floor Plan" (the asterix is important to sort to the top of the Project Browser list), "Demo Floor Plan", "Existing Floor Plan", and "Proposed Floor Plan". I sometimes also add "Enlarged Floor Plan" and/or "Bathroom Floor Plan" just to keep views together and out of each other's way. That said, with the *Working Floor Plan, anything goes! Leave things on, turn them off. whatever. On the Proposed Floor Plans, though, I have a View Template that I police furiously. That way I know that my Proposed Floor Plans will print well with less work.

3. Temporary hiding. I love the sunglasses. When getting frustrated with too much in a view, I like to temporarily hide and/or isolate a bunch of stuff.

With respect to people creating random sections, I have two tips. The first you won't like, the second will only work to some extent because it goes hand-in-hand with the first tip.

A. Education. It is not so much that people are being rude by ignoring your pleas, it is that they are lazy and/or overworked. Telling people to follow a standard (which may include NOT doing something) hasn't always worked in my experience. Rather, I try to educate and have systems in place that people can easily remember. Part of that education can be making people responsible for certain tasks. Perhaps different people on the team are responsible for printing different sheets and therefore have to get them right. If you make them a check list for what to review before and after they print, maybe some of it will get done more regularly.

B. If you have implemented item #2 and have different view types, especially one called *Working (or something similar) for plans, sections, and elevations especially, then you can create a filter to add to your View Templates. Filter out the *Working views and hide them all plans that get placed on sheets. Then you only need to manage the filter and view templates. But like I said, this requires training, too. In this case, you have to educate your team to (a) use the *Working view types and (b) to apply (and not de-apply) the appropriate view templates.

That's my advice! You will find many a question like yours on this forum and many a response like mine, because the general wisdom here is that being authoritarian as a BIM team leader (or whatever title you have in the firm or on the team) just doesn't work. Revit is not set up like that and doesn't work as well for the team in general if you try to be too controlling.