PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Changing a detail family to be workplane based instead of plan based.

katja.t
2016-09-01, 08:51 AM
Basically I want to do exactly this: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Revit-Customize/files/GUID-70F24230-D596-4AA3-A425-91B1E560BC53-htm.html

Problem is there is no parameter called "Work Plane-Based" under Family Parameters in the Family Category and Parameters dialog.

The only parameters I see there are;
Rotate with component
Shared
OmniClass Number
OmniClass Title (grayed out)

Is there any other way to change the family to work plane based?

The reason I want a detail family to be work plane based is that I need to place it in both plan and elevation views.

damon.sidel
2016-09-01, 12:45 PM
Any detail family can be placed in any type of view, so if what you want is to place it in a plan view and an elevation view, you don't need to make it work plane based.

If you want to place it once in your model in a 3-dimensional location and have it show in plan and elevation view, that is different and can be accomplished with a generic model (or many other categories). Just start a new generic model family. It will be empty. Load the detail family into the generic model family. Place the detail family in plan view. Place the detail family in one or more of the elevation views. Load he generic model into your project and place it in a plan. It should show the detail in that plan and any other plan of that area. It should also show the detail in any elevation view of that area (assuming you placed the detail in that direction in the generic family).

Are either of those what you are looking for? If not, perhaps be more specific with what exactly you are trying to accomplish and I'm sure I or somebody else can help.

katja.t
2016-09-01, 01:41 PM
The issue is that when I try to place the current detail family into an elavation view I get the following error "None of the created elements are visible in Elevation", while it places fine into a plan view.

damon.sidel
2016-09-01, 02:34 PM
"None of the created elements are visible in Elevation"

This is usually, and I emphasize usually, an issue having to do with your Visibility/Graphics settings in that view. Check that detail components are visible in that elevation, first. If that doesn't work, check out this thread: http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-tips-tricks/441-cant-see-view-heres-33-reasons-maybe-why.html