PDA

View Full Version : install Revit 5.1L w/ dual monitors

cliff collins
2003-12-01, 11:34 PM
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:21 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We recently ran into a problem installing Revit 5.1L on a machine
(Win2000) using dual monitor setup. Seems that with the second
monitor enabled--Revit would lock up upon Opening, Saving or
trying to register the newly installed software.

When we disabled the second monitor--vwalllllahhh--
problem seems to go away.

Curious if anyone else has run into this? It took us a while to accidently discover that the dual monitor setup was apparently creating a problem upon install. We use Revit successfully on other dual monitor systems---but the latest install had a problem.

Hoping 6.0 will support dual monitors!

Cheers,

cbc

beegee
2003-12-02, 12:00 AM
Hi Cliff,

Have you checked with support to get their comments on this issue ?

Known Issues and Workarounds is specifically for problems that have been identified by support as a bug, together with their/your workaround solution where appropriate. Refer THIS THREAD (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=394) for details.

I have removed the post from the Known Issues Forum, until this is resolved.

hand471037
2003-12-02, 01:12 AM
What is the make of your video card, and what version of drivers are you using for it?

It's been my experance in the past that some of the dual-monitor drivers, that have 'features' that auto-center, auto-maximise, or otherwise manipulate your progrmas to auto-fit to your dual monitors leave much to be desired under Windows 2000.

Try downloading the latest driver, and disable all the 'extranous' features within the driver that relate to window management, and see what happens.

I used to have problems when rendering large images in Revit with my last machine when the dual's were on. Also had big problems if I turned on all the 'helper' dual desktop features of the driver with Revit and other software too (Truespace & Blender, IIRC). That was with a Matrox G400 MAX; the new machine I've got has some Nvidia card in it, and it doesn't have any issues at all, even with all the dual-desktop stuff turned on. Same goes for my current ATI card at home (a Radeon something or other), however my old ATI card at work was hell for dual monitors.

I think the main problem is that dual desktop support is rather limited in Windows 2000, so most graphic card manufacturers out there puts 'hacks' in thier drivers to make up for this and to add the needed window-management functions for a dual-head display...

however they are in the end just hacks, and not fully tested against all software, so as such they cause strange problems.

cliff collins
2003-12-02, 03:15 PM
Bee Gee and Jeffrey,

Thanks for the replies. I have been working with Autodesk Revit
Support on the problem, which was actually an installation problem--
not initially a "dual monitor"issue, until by chance we discovered that
perhaps the dual monitors were causing a problem with getting the software registered and properly running after initial installation. I am still not 100% sure if the dual monitor setup was really the cause--just one of those "trial and error/process of elimination troubleshooting tactics."

Jeffery,
The graphics cards we use are Radeon 7000 series in Win2000 setup. We are using the most current driver. We don't go overboard with all the advanced features. We realise this setup can create potential problems even in an Autocad environment.

However, I think the dual monitor setup is highly desirable and very popular with the aec world. Once you are accustomed to using dual monitors, it is very annoying to go back to a single monitor setup. It would be great if Revit release 6 can support it. I'm sure this is probably already a "wishlist" item. We could certainly consider other graphics cards if necessary, to make Revit run properly for our office installation.

BeeGee,
Thanks for "Guidelines" info regarding where to post--I had a hunch that
the Known Issues forum wasn't the right place--yet.
I'll post the result of my correspondence with Revit support when/if it is resolved/addressed.

It is always something, isn't it? Actually we were glad that it was something as simple as the dual monitors--it was very disconcerting having difficulty installing Revit, esp. for new users. It is very important for a new product to install easily and quickly. This reinforces the beauty and simplicity of Revit's interface and intuitive ease of use. :)

cheers,
cbc

PeterJ
2003-12-02, 03:32 PM
I struggled with Revit and dual monitors for a while, now I simply maximise Revit in one monitor and maximise whatever else I need in the other (Photoshop, Specification, other CAD drawings, WP etc.) I really hope they can get multi monitor support up and running in R6, it would make a big difference to my workflow.

Henry D
2003-12-02, 04:12 PM
Peter, I've come to the same conclusion; right now spreading a Revit project across two monitors involves too much finagling and therefore time. Attached is a screen shot of how I have my screen setup. I essentially got rid of everything I could except the Project Browser - I use keyboard shortcuts or the pulldown menu. I wish I could also get rid of the scroll bars which I never use.

hand471037
2003-12-02, 05:07 PM
I too use dual monitors, and I too simply maximise Revit on the primary & whatever else I've got on the secondary...

And I too vote for better dual support in 6.0! :)

Melarch
2003-12-26, 12:35 PM
I have dual monitors at work and at my office at home. The dual monitor setup at work is a Dell 520 workstation with dual 2.4 processors and a gig of ram, with the graphics system a matrox millennium dual analog ported card with 128 ram powering one Dell 21" analog flat screen and a Dell 20.4" flat panel (which can be DVI or analog).

I run Revit on my 20.4" DVI monitor and all other apps on the 21" flat screen. This works great. I have tried spreading Revit across both monitors (Revit is supported by the Matrox dual ported card) but the monitor edge surrounds break up the menus pull downs and tool bars so as to be annoying and the viwe windows on the drawing screen area constantly have to be repositioned and sized as to make more a chore than it is worth.

On my home office system, which is a Dell Inspiron 8500 (15.4" wide screen flat panel display, I also have a 19" Dell flat panel monitor attached for dual display. Unfortunately, Revit does not display on the second monitor, only the Dell Inspiron main display. So like my work dual monitor system I use Revit on the main notebook panel and open other apps on the second monitor.

I have used my projector in clone mode to project a six foot image of my Dell Inspiron screen (resolution 1620X1280) on a projection screen and that is a great way to work or present. The only downside to projection displays is that you have to move your neck a lot to keyboard input or read tutorials and plans when working.