PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Existing Windows in Masonry Opening - Partial demo

jesser
2016-09-16, 05:23 PM
Hi all,
I am contemplating the best way to model windows that will be replaced with new inserts, but the existing masonry Head, sills and the wood moulding withing the masonry opening will remain.

Ideally only the "Window" itself would appear demolished in plan and the existing wood brick mould would remain(not dashed as demo).

I've investigated placing the moulding on a different sub category and then attempting to override that in V/G but it does not override the demolition override.

I am leaning towards placing (2) separate families in the model to achieve this but am concerned as the logistics will be tedious and prone to mistakes.

Anyone have any recommendations, experiences, or ideas?

Thanks,
J

bt.commenter343255
2016-09-16, 09:04 PM
Create a masonry wall opening, existing phase, and leave it there. It could also include the brick molding.

Then insert the existing/demo and new windows into the opening.

patricks
2016-09-20, 03:42 PM
Are the replacement windows going to look the same? If so, I would probably just use the same family with all the stuff built-in, and use notes on the plans and on the window details and elevations to indicate what gets removed and what stays. If the parts that stay get repeated everywhere pretty much, however, then I might make them a separate family. If it's all existing to remain (except the window itself) then you should have to just place it once and leave it.