PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Create Point Cloud from .txt file for use in Revit

KoryCox
2016-09-22, 10:20 PM
We receive .txt files from our surveyor to help us verify that our existing models are correct, so much as is possible.

We're trying to figure a way to get this into Revit as a point cloud. I have tried importing as a point cloud and Revit attempts to create an indexed file, but seems to fail. I import the newly indexed file and don't see any information despite being able to see the file in the Manage Links Dialogue.

We've also tried importing an AutoCAD file that has been somehow interpreted the points, but we lose the vertical components of the data. AutoCAD seems intent on importing as a 2D reference.

Any ideas?

Revitaoist
2016-09-22, 11:06 PM
You will need to go through ReCap if all you have is a TXT file, Revit will not convert that to point cloud. Tell your surveyor to provide rcp file format.

KoryCox
2016-09-22, 11:31 PM
Is it going to matter that our survey information is from a hand survey? We do have some point cloud information gained from LIDAR in separate files that we have been able to get into Revit, but we need to tie everything together using 20,000 points of hand surveyed data.

What syntax does the .txt file need to follow?

Currently it looks like this:
(Point ID number),(easting),(northing),(location code)

Example:

Revitaoist
2016-09-23, 04:15 PM
You are confusing point cloud with toposurface. With toposurface you can import TXT files and format that PNEZ data.

KoryCox
2016-09-23, 04:33 PM
I don't think I am. Our surveyed data is of the interior of rail tunnels, the surface above, building interiors, etc.

Revitaoist
2016-09-23, 06:21 PM
Revit is not going to make a point cloud from a txt file. You need to import that into ReCap first and make an RCP file. Then you can import the RCP into Revit.