PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Monolithic Stair to Floor Slab

Andi
2016-09-30, 11:38 PM
I've built a monolithic concrete stair which lands at a concrete floor slab. When I cut a section I can see the bottom of the carriage doesn't line up with the bottom of the slab. I've attached an image.

Is there a way to extend the carriage to meet the slab? Or some other way to make a cleaner section?

Thanks in advance :)

damon.sidel
2016-10-06, 04:50 PM
I don't think the solution lies in the stair, since it continues to not address these kinds of issues.

Rather, I think you should deal with it at the floor. I always like to frame these kinds of questions with "how would you build it (in the real world)?" I have two suggestions that stem from that way of thinking.

1. Will you have a beam at the edge of the floor? (I assume the floor is concrete... is it a steel structure with composite deck? Or flat slab?) Let's assume it is flat slab construction. In that case, I would guess that there is an edge beam to support the stair/frame the opening. That would make it look more reasonable. It could be modeled as a beam or as a floor edge.

2. The stair could be built (again, in the real world) to have the top tread of the stair be at floor level, not one step below. If you are trying to match the thickness of the floor and underside of the stair, then you could adjust the stair thickness to match. Because of the specific angle of this stair, it will probably not be a nice round number.