PDA

View Full Version : 2017 compound curve surface from 3ds max [files attached]

delgado.raymond705060
2016-10-02, 06:12 AM
I'm trying to take this imported mesh from 3DS max and create walls from it. Either walls by surface or another means is fine. So far when I import DWG its nice and quads, but un-snappable and many quads won't recieve walls by surface. When I import SAT then its snappable and recieves walls by face, but its all tris unfortunately. The other challenge is that walls by face doesnt allow me to select all faces at once and once the walls are made they don't join nicely.

I've attached the max and rvt files for reference. Many of my design team members do form generation within MAX so figuring a method out here would be great.

Thanks

damon.sidel
2016-10-06, 03:07 PM
Welcome on your first post!

I'm not intimately familiar with Max, so please bear with me... is there an option to export the Max model as ACIS solid DWG? That is an export option in Revit that works well to import to Rhino, for example, so I was just thinking in might be a good import option, too.

You could also try FBX, that might be better.
If you have access to Rhino, you could send it through that way (if you can get it to work in Max > Rhino with quads).

What are you trying to accomplish? A curtain wall or curtain system? What actual built form are you considering this to be? In your 04.png image, I do see SOME quads among the tris. That indicates to me that the form you have created does not consist of planar quads, but rather most are warped quads (hyperbolic surfaces). Given that, we'd be having a different discussion that isn't about importing and exporting, but about geometry and ways to optimize divided surfaces into constructable geometry. That's a great discussion, but not what you currently asked, which is why I'm asking about the end result you are looking for.