PDA

View Full Version : work sharing

sultarc
2005-03-26, 03:07 AM
I am assembling a group of architects here to work on projects in Revit. My question is, is it possible to do worksets when each person is in a remote location and not on the same network? Each of us has our own office and work together occasionally on joint projects.

aaronrumple
2005-03-26, 03:27 AM
Possible. but not real easy.

sultarc
2005-03-26, 03:36 AM
What would be the best way to collaborate? I know that there are larger offices on opposite coasts that do it, or at least I think so.

aaronrumple
2005-03-26, 05:11 AM
You would be looking at a VPN and a high speed connection for each office.

We've tinkered with the VPN, it works, but I wouldn't want to do a whole project that way. Maybe Revit 8 will give us some new options.

An all the team will need to be VERY well trained in workset use.

sbrown
2005-03-28, 03:26 PM
We actually don't do it. We are not aware of any way to do it that would be stable and fast enough to really work.

sultarc
2005-03-28, 07:25 PM
What if one entity were to actually take a copy of the model and work on it to later return it to the repository by means of a fast internet connection e-mail or on CD-Rom?

eldad
2005-03-28, 10:44 PM
Doing it with VPN can be painfully slow, you might get caught saving to central for a very long time and if someone is saving at the same time it might get worse...
you can each take the central file home work on it as a local file, work only on the workset and viewset one has designated, bring it back to the office and save to central. it is very limiting that way, and if one work temporary on a view not his or hers, you might corrupt the file :(
this is one area, we would like to see more work done with Revit.
ATM doing it with 2 people and very particular about what worksets and viewsets each one is working on, still not perfect though...