PDA

View Full Version : about stair

jiaoyanbing
2005-03-27, 02:07 PM
i can not creat free-form thread and riser of stair in revit? hope ....

Joef
2005-03-27, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but if you simply draw a boundary, (using the boundary tool), you can draw in your risers wherever you want them. The boundaries represent the stair stringers. If you want the risers all different heights, you will have to use a different tool. It will never pass the building inspector anyway. :!: :smile:

jiaoyanbing
2005-03-27, 03:59 PM
i do not mean boundary.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-27, 04:47 PM
You need to post an example of what you'd like to do. Search for "stairs" here, there are some examples from Phil Read.

jiaoyanbing
2005-03-27, 06:00 PM
i mean i can use solid modeling tool to creat thead and riser of stair.

Arnel Aguel
2005-03-28, 04:26 AM
Jiaoyanbing no offense meant but you have been asking things in your previous post and whenever you were asked to post a sample of what you want to do you will not do so. How would you expect people to help you if you will not help them understand what your problem really is.

In regard to this post would you mind posting something what you want to achieve?

jiaoyanbing
2005-03-28, 05:32 PM
for example,could you make a arabic cassical stair with revit.i can creat it in 3dsmax and pro-e.add void to the solid of riser and thead of the stair.but in revit circumstance i can not add these .i only conform to the rule customized by revit.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-28, 05:53 PM
Even a picture scanned from a magazine would help. Please post a visual example of the kind of stair you are trying to create.

Joef
2005-03-28, 05:54 PM
If you could post a picture of an Arabic Classical Stair of the type you are interested in building, I'm sure we'd all be ready to pitch in with our ideas on how to build it. It is not a type of stair I am familiar with.

Joe

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-28, 06:18 PM
I posted an example of a more involved stair in THIS THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=14574) Not Arabic style but not "ordinary" either...

roy.70844
2005-03-29, 09:04 AM
Hello Jiaoyanbing,

I can't help wondering why your posts seem to follow a pattern.
Having posted a complaint or criticism or request for help, you then fail to respond to any of the replies from the members of this forum who freely give their experience and knowledge.

Questions...
A. Do you have a language problem? Can you not understand the question?
B. Do you not know how to attach images to posts?
C. Are you deliberately trying to wind people up?

Solutions...
A. State your preferred language and someone may be able to help. This forum seems global!

B. Click on the Manage attachments button at bottom of screen when editing your post.

C. Pat yourself on the back as you seem to be succeeding. However I suspect your glory will be short lived. The supporters of this forum have limited patience .

I would love to try and help, but I have no idea what your problem is.

Roy

luigi
2005-03-29, 01:59 PM
for example,could you make a arabic cassical stair with revit.i can creat it in 3dsmax and pro-e.add void to the solid of riser and thead of the stair.but in revit circumstance i can not add these .i only conform to the rule customized by revit.Hmm...
The thing that some people (including jiaoyanbing) fail to keep in mind, is that there is an engine for Revit, and beyond the engine there are commands that facilitate certain known conditions. The stair tool (even in its complex form) is a tool that facilitates creating stairs. You can create stairs without even using the stair command. If you want, you can create your style stair (Arabic classical stair) and add rules to it and it will be parametric without using the stair command. It is the same thing with walls, windows, etc. The only limitation is the fact that you have only four types of solid creation (extrude, sweep, blend, revolve), but outside to those, there is no modeling limitation whatsoever. When you use 3dsmax and pro/e you don't draw stairs with a stair command. You don't even draw stairs, they are solids that represent stairs, in which the program doesn't recognize as stairs...Revit will recognize your solid as stairs...

Now, I don't know anything that ancient Arabs have built that couldn't be reproduced in Revit (I lived in Sicily where there is a strong Arab influence) so, if you want somebody to create this stair for you (and people will do that for you, unless you keep writing your posts this way)

In peace,

jiaoyanbing
2005-03-30, 12:39 AM
i think luigi is exactly right.creat stair without using stair command.maybe this is the defect of built-in stair command.but if so,the advantage of stair command does not take effect.

bpayne
2005-03-30, 12:58 AM
Jiaoyanbing,
The advantage of the stair command is that it simplifies the creation of most standard stair drawings. If the tool is not flexible enough to meet your need, then yes, using Revits solid modeling tools will help you create the stairs you want.

To everyone else, I think the language barrier is causing for some unnecessary comments (including a previous post by yours truly) and I personally will be giving Jiaoyanbing the benefit of the doubt on any future posts.

That being said, Jiaoyanbing, many people have asked you simple questions such as where are you from, what language do you speak, or posting an image of the stair you would like help on, etc. In order to get respectful help from these same people, it might be wise to respect them by answering their requests. If not it will be much more difficult to find answers for your questions.

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-30, 01:01 AM
i think luigi is exactly right.creat stair without using stair command.maybe this is the defect of built-in stair command.but if so,the advantage of stair command does not take effect.How about an image of a stair like what you want to build...let's see what we can do...

Marek Brandstatter
2005-03-30, 07:22 AM
You need to post an example of what you'd like to do.
Even a picture scanned from a magazine would help. Please post a visual example of the kind of stair you are trying to create.

In regard to this post would you mind posting something what you want to achieve?

If you could post a picture...

Do you not know how to attach images to posts?

How about an image of a stair like what you want to build...let's see what we can do...
Its getting surreal....

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-30, 07:40 AM
Its getting surreal....Consistency, it's what we strive for! 8)

beegee
2005-03-30, 08:45 AM
Ohhh, ... Do you mean - post a picture ????

luigi
2005-03-30, 08:45 AM
i think luigi is exactly right.creat stair without using stair command.maybe this is the defect of built-in stair command.but if so,the advantage of stair command does not take effect.But you can make a simple stair that can be used to attach your model to it, so that if the stair risers/thread changes the model of your stairs change.

Mr/Mrs. Jiaoyanbing, the possibilities of Revit are not limited, just wait until they add additional solid capabilities...

Remember that the stair tool is very powerful, it needs more work for more crazy stairs, but crazy stairs are less than 1% of the construction world(if that)

Yours truly,

mlgatzke
2005-03-30, 06:05 PM
Just a thought:

A sermon is a long-winded lecture that is usually intended for those who are not in attendance.

Hmmmm.;)

cosmickingpin
2005-03-30, 07:47 PM
The name seems Chinese in origin. While (s)he seems to be acting like a p**k a*s b***h, it is very possible that this person lives in a country where a repressive government monitors internet activity and (s)he is being cautions not to raise the suspicions of the "communication" police. PROC and North Korea have some stiff penalities for innocent conduct. Using google and other search engines carelessly can leave incriminating trails in cyberspace for which people have been known to disappear, loose their university/ employment positions, etc...

BillyGrey
2005-03-30, 08:32 PM
So cosmic, is your comic superhero icon's ability s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g?
;)
(one man's pun*a**bitc* is another mans incisive, focused, pointedly mis-understood bloke
with a minor language barrier)

cosmickingpin
2005-03-30, 09:13 PM
it seems like some poeple are about to label him a "troll" and I think that may not be justified. But com'on it's like Annie Sullivan & Helen Keller over here. People keep explaining that Revit has many features built in that allow easy and fast modeling, that have their limitations,and for everything else there are modleing feature (inplace and loaded family) that any user can create and modify at will. Next he is gonna ask about "Windows"

"Is make possible a window with a curvy top, huhoh hot dog..."

Next message

"a Curvy top with slildy thing like manderine orange."

Next Message

"Revit has many features, many of which I must learn more about"

Then nunerous messages asking for more info, and the when somebody reminds him of the above, then silence. Focused? Really? Misunderstood? hell yeah.

So cosmic, is your comic superhero icon's ability s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g?
;)
(one man's pun*a**bitc* is another mans incisive, focused, pointedly mis-understood bloke
with a minor language barrier)

beegee
2005-03-30, 09:27 PM
Maybe OT....

troll v.,n. To utter a posting > designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"; which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling";, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite.

The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll.

If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

The following extract is from a broader expansion of the defining comments given above:

In Usenet usage, a troll is not a grumpy monster that lives beneath a bridge accosting passers-by, but rather a provocative posting to a newsgroup intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses.

The content of a "troll posting generally falls into several areas. It may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup, or a broad request for trivial follow-up postings.

There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:

People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups, and simply to make trouble.

Career trollers tend for the latter two whilst the former is the mark of the clueless newbie and should be ignored.

>>

Construct your troll in a manner to make it readable. Use short paragraphs and lots of white space. Keep line length below eighty characters.

>>

Drag them off-topic - the further off-topic the better. Remember, you are trying to waste their time.

>>

Try not to follow-up to your own troll. The troll itself quickly becomes forgotten in the chaos and if you just sit back you can avoid being blamed for causing it.

>>

Maybe not ?

BillyGrey
2005-03-30, 10:58 PM
(Billy Grey makes one more attempt at lightening things up)

I find this whole thing comical. No offense meant At All...
My assesment was not serious.
But your right cosmic;
Most of us post/reply, we communicate, regardless of language, and it's done.
This dude posts, and he gets AIRPLAY.

Wow.

First time I dug into his reads I also thought he was trolling, but who knows.

BEEG!

How ya doin mate?
trolling? him?... huh?
but me?, never...

hijackin threads, that's more my style...

(this is a board, not a board room!)

cosmickingpin
2005-03-31, 12:13 AM
Let's say he is a university professor in PROC or north Korea. Such a person might have internet access, but can express any opions whatsoever. He can't say, "Kim Jong is a freaking mad man, entire families disappear for the slightest precieved miss spoken statements and online I have absolutely no wiggle room, cause the ministry of truth monitors everything I do and say, I can't even use a search engine for fear of being beaten or sent to a death camp because a search engine accidently brings up a forbidden page" Such a person might end up coming across exactly like this person. Those people are out there, and places like this might be the only place they can post (software tech) without fear. Even then they have to watch everything they say, and perhaps can't surf the internet for an example of an classical arabic stair without MIB's showning up at 3am. Just a freakish possibility I wanted to bring to the forum's attention. Not really likely, but somewhat possible.

roy.70844
2005-03-31, 09:24 AM
<Roy: Idiot mode on>
Trolling? Is that for real? People do that for FUN? Why don't they just go and smash a window or something, Or if they are really weird try getting sheet sets in ADT to work like Revit sheets do.....
<Roy:Idiot mode off>

Hello everybody,
I, for one, am giving up on this.
( although I may post a request for a classical Arabic stair at some point in the future)

See you back in the real world...

Roy.

Note to moderators: Does this thread now qualify for 'Out there' status?