PDA

View Full Version : How to Model This

jcoe
2005-03-27, 11:52 PM
I am looking for suggestions on how one might go about modeling this wall: http://www.0lll.com/lud/pages/architecture/archgallery/zumthor_shelter/index.htm

This Project was done by Peter Zumthor in Chur, Switzerland as a shelter for some Roman Ruins. I am looking to use a similar wall consruction for my Thesis. The difficulty I am having is getting the wall to cut correctly in section, showing the horizontal wood slats and the space between them.

Thanks in advance.

Edited - See Attachments

beegee
2005-03-28, 02:41 AM
Have you thought about using a cutain wall with custom louvre panels and special profile mullions?

Or, ... you could do it using the railing tool ?

jcoe
2005-03-28, 03:52 AM
beegee,

Both are really good suggestions that I had not even considered. I have been fighting with this using the massing/solid sweep tool and wall hosted sweeps, but when I tried to copy the profile up the vertical surface, the results were not what I had anticipated. For the time being, I reverted back to a generic wall with a horizontal model pattern that looks like wood. I like the railing suggestion because I think I can get the results I am looking for. The curtain wall suggestion seems like it might be too much work to pull off for my review later this week.

Thanks for the help.

SCShell
2005-03-28, 02:59 PM
Hey there,

Couldn't help but notice that you are almost there! Take Beegee's advice and use the curtain wall system. First, take the wall you have now that you are happy with, and save it as your curtain panel. Then, set up a curtain wall in order to utilize the grid layout tools. Once you have a grid layout, simply insert your new "wall" panel sections. This makes it really easy to modify later if needed. (I can't tell what the grid mullions are, if any; however, you don't need to place mullions anyway to make a nice panel layout pattern.)

Good luck with your thesis!
Steve