PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing section flags...

John K.
2003-12-03, 10:25 PM
All:

Having mixed feelings on using scope boxes as they seem to elicit quirky behavior from my section markers: ie. they disappear. Does this have anything to do with the visibility settings of a particular scope box?

Thanks,

jk

eegbertson
2003-12-03, 10:59 PM
Can you provide more information as to what views they dissappear in and if they are associated to a scope box or not?

In general terms if a section is associated with a scope box then it may not display in other elevations or Sections if the view planes of those views do not intersect the scope box.

beegee
2003-12-03, 11:00 PM
Scope boxes are used to control the visibility of datums. Datums being levels, reference planes, and grids. They also associate with section cuts.

If the scope box is turned off in a view, the section cutting through that scope box will also disappear.

John K.
2003-12-03, 11:13 PM
I've erased the scope box but am still having some strange things happen:

A small rectangular bldg: about 18 x 35. I cut two bldg sections on the floor plan: one n-s; one e-w. Only one section showed up in the elevations: View--elev--south. The rest didn't show up... [I checked the vissibility settings 2 to 3 times per elev.].

Next I cut a section on view -- elev --east. It imediately showed uo on view -- elev -- west. OK. So place one on view -- elev -- south and one pops up on view -- elev -- north. So far, so good...

Then I made an edit to the section markers on the site plan -- which is oriented <<True North>> if that makes a difference. I shortened the markers down to just over the size of the bldg. When I went back to my sheet showing all four sections, only the marker on view--elev--south was still visible. [???]

Seems very strange. Now, since the current source of my headache seems to be editing the section flags on the site plan, I can live without even displaying them there. Still, this seems to be a bug... It was even tougher to grok when I was attempting to use a scope box -- meaning: even less consistant editing results -- so I abandoned that altogether. Ever seen similar behaviour?

John K.
2003-12-03, 11:31 PM
****! Now it happens when I trim down the section markers in the floor plans as well. The only elev that still shows the concurrent section marks is view--elev--south. What make the south elev so special???

beegee
2003-12-04, 12:49 AM
John,

Can you purge the file and post it, if its not too large ?

That would be quicker than trying to guess the cause of the problem.

John K.
2003-12-04, 03:02 PM
All,

Thanks for the input on this one. The file is still a bit large to post [2.69 meg] but I will try to slim it down later in the day when I have more time.

Is there anyway I can ftp it to someone.

Thanks again,

John Kosty

LMSmith
2003-12-04, 04:34 PM
Your problems may be related to a non intersecting cut plane and crop region. The Cut Plane of the elevation (see ElevCutLine.jpg) must intersect (or be contained by) the crop region of the section (see SectionCropRegion.jpg) in order for the section to show in the elevation. Hope this helps.

John K.
2003-12-04, 06:32 PM
The drama continues...

Just for fun, I created two totally new projects. Here are annotated notes from the second. Drew a rectangular shaped bldg -- walls only -- and cut two section [in the plan view]. The section flags did not appear in the elevations. See figure 1a. Figure 1b shows vis/graphics for view/elev/south...

Now, check out Figure 2. I added a section -- this time in view--elev--south.
A new section flag appears in plan view but NOT view--elev--north

[Three more attachments -- next post...]

John K.
2003-12-04, 06:33 PM
[continued from last...]

Figure 2a: add a section -- in view-elev-west. Flag appears on view--plan--1st floor but NOT on view--elev--east...

Figure 2b: Before section boundaries are manipulated...

Figure 2c: After section boundaries are manipulated... Section flag has disappeared.

Notice in all frames, that President Kennedy's head moves back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left....

OK, I know I'm missing something but don't know what. Here's my build info:

Revit 5.1
Build 20030716_1400

I'll try to post this file as well.

Thanks, yet again,

LMSmith
2003-12-04, 06:38 PM
Move the elevation clip plane - the blue line that you see when you click on the elevation tip (see picture in my earlier post) closer to the building so that it intersects the crop region of the section and you will see the section in that elevation.

John K.
2003-12-04, 06:48 PM
And here's the last test file -- from which the screenshots above were taken...

John K.
2003-12-04, 06:51 PM
Move the elevation clip plane - the blue line that you see when you click on the elevation tip (see picture in my earlier post) closer to the building so that it intersects the crop region of the section and you will see the section in that elevation.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I knew it was something friggin' simple! I'll be hiding in a crawlspace dying of embarrasment if anyone needs me. :oops:

With apologies to Mr. Smith, I had read too quickly the solution you posted earlier and mis-categorized it with a similar problem [having to do with a section not perpendicular to a reference line?] -- and merely glanced at your two .jpg's. I was in a hurry to get back to beating my head against the keyboard and looking like a complete bonehead... ;-) Oh, well...

Thanks!

John Kosty