PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Can you Overdo a View Template?

HelmetFire
2017-01-13, 10:34 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have set up our project template to include view templates for modeling and for annotation where the modeling views would be moved to user specific folders and the annotation views are on sheets.

When it comes to categories in view templates is it better to...
•Turn off all the categories that should never be visible in that type of view
•Have the majority of the categories visible and let the user make the decision to turn them off as they become populated and possibly a nuisance.

Should view templates be automatically applied to new views?

I'm thinking of users with less experience and not wanting to frustrate them with too much customization. But I know early on for me seeing anything in everything whenever I opened a view was frustrating in itself.

Thanks.

damon.sidel
2017-01-20, 05:21 PM
IMHO, view templates should be very specific and if possible, applied automatically. In practice, the automatic part doesn't work for me in my office, we end up switching many view templates when making views. However, the more rigorous you can be about what should and shouldn't show up in what kind of view, the better off I think you'll be.

For new users, many things are frustrating or confusing. I think this should be addressed through training/education/experience, not trying to customize an office template with office standards to account for that.

Just my two cents!