PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Overlapping Revit Views exported to Cad

david_peterson
2017-01-25, 05:23 PM
We had a project team that decided to get lazy in my opinion.
They had an add alternate that was accepted. It used to be on a separate view. Instead of modifying the view used for the original floor plan they just added the "New Add Alt" addition floor plan to the sheet and overlapped them so the views were aligned.
Now I need to export that sheet to Autocad for Mr Contractor.
When I do this I get a very strange result.
The sheet (Layout space) looks as one would expect.
But when you go to model space instead of the objects over lapping as I would have expected they are shifted apart from one another and don't align in the X direction. In fact they're off by a random 232' and change.
Is this the result one should expect?
I was exporting without xrefs, just everything bound in the sheet. I tried with both shared and project internal...same results.
Thanks in advance.

Bill Gilliss
2017-01-30, 03:40 AM
My *students* know enough not to do this. A Revit model is a complete 3D entity, not a cobbled together 2D sheet - otherwise, why not put your sheet set together with Photoshop? Heads should roll. At the very least, it's time for a serious discussion about company practices and the integrity of the BIM model and its 2D offspring in all their possible forms.

david_peterson
2017-01-31, 02:35 PM
The Project team knows this wasn't the best method.
The problem is Fees.
When you're out of fee you start to do things via the fastest method.
This was an add alternate. The model itself is fine. They just accepted it and someone didn't want to recreate the views correctly.
They know they made a calculated poor decision. But at the end of the day we're only getting paid for 2d pdfs.
So it's really just for the contractor, which we have no obligation to really do anything for. However we have to be nice while playing in the same sandbox.

My general response is "Why does the contractor need Autocad? Shouldn't he be using Revit or another vertical platform of some type? Why do I need to provide Autocad? It's listed in our specs that the CM is responsible for providing all electronic information required to their subs. We're nice enough to provide them with a high quality model and don't even charge them for it. Read the spec and then read the electronic Data Exchange agreement that the CM signed. We're not responsible for anything other than 2d PDFs, as those are the contract documents."

So I know and I agree that what they didn't isn't correct, and no it's not a common practice. However there's part of the difference between the classroom and the Real World. If a student needs to spends and extra 8hrs redoing some work because they did it wrong, the school doesn't loose money. I can't ask and employee to work for free, and no one likes projects that don't make money.

None of this has anything to do with the question at hand. So if anyone has any good thoughts on what Revit is thinking when it exports it, that would be great. Again It does make a little sense since they are separate viewports.