PDA

View Full Version : Sections through family

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-28, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know how to cut a section through a family when it is placed in a project. I dont want to see everything in the background. I just want to see the plywood thickness at the point of cut.

see attacked millwork for example

Thanks in advance for the help

sbrown
2005-03-28, 06:01 PM
Turn off the view visibily of anything you don't want to see and set the far clip plane to 1" or something small so you don't see anything beyond your cut.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-28, 06:10 PM
oops I forgot that this is a furniture parameter and you cant cut through a furniture. I switched it to a casework, and bam perfect. sorry for the false problem user error haha

Gadget Man
2005-03-29, 10:26 AM
...I switched it to a casework...
Sorry for my ignorance, but I would like to know what do you mean that you switched to a different family type (if I understood you correctly...) Did you actually drew this thing again using a different family type template (casework instead of furniture) or is there some trick to convert one family type to another? I have several old families drawn as not-the-best-family type-for the application and I simply have no time (or patience) to re-draw them in more appropriate type, and I would gladly "convert" them to some other type. Is this possible?

Jerry.

Nic M.
2005-03-29, 10:52 AM
Open the family
Settings - Family categorie and parameters
Pick at will

The same is true for inplace families.

Gadget Man
2005-03-29, 11:04 AM
You not kidding me , right? Is this THAT simple...! Gee..I am embarrassed. So many hours I spent re-drawing the same thing in the different family type...

Come to think of it, I wish that this option was a little more advertised in a Help file - unless I am completly dumb not to see it there (which might be...) :Oops: .

Thank you, and please kindly attach yourself to the recipients' list of THIS (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?threadid=16830) thread.

Jerry.

Nic M.
2005-03-29, 12:45 PM
Come to think of it, I wish that this option was a little more advertised in a Help file
Thanks jerry,
I agree on the help, I feel a little Lara Croftish sometimes: How many hidden treasures did you find?
Maybe this forum is the cheat page (draw two walls, hit F10 and join them = access to the system parameters / select element ID 007 = bigger b... oops :roll: )

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-29, 06:19 PM
One thing to watch for while converting is if you have shared parameters attached. If you do you need to remove them and then add them back. I am glad this thread helped out someone.

David Conant
2005-03-29, 07:02 PM
In the family you posted, only one of the shared parameters was a problem. The Finish parameter interfered with the conversion.
Rather than deleting parameters up front and losing information, you should attempt to convert the family from one category to another first. If there is a parameter causing a problem, it will show up in the error dialog. Find the error reporting the problem parameter and expand it. It should list the parameter name. Close the error dialog, delete that specific parameter and try again.
We are looking into the issue to determine a better solution.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-29, 07:16 PM
And there you go one more helpful hint to save time. Always a pleasure David thanks for the additional time saver.

P.S. Since you are trying to look into a better way. One thing you could add is the ability to add more family types or at least subcategories of the types. I hate putting things on the category generic (hard to schedule and turn off) my best example is a Plumbing fixture(lav, water closet) and a toilet accessory (soap dispenser, hand dryer, baby changer) what family type Hmmm oh I will use generic for the accessories (along with everything else I cant find a parameter for)