PDA

View Full Version : 2017 align Revit model with topography Z axis

ctc
2017-02-16, 04:00 PM
I just imported a point file into my Revit model to create a topography. The problem is that the points file uses the correct geolocation Z elevation (+648') and my Revit model was created at 0'. Since I only need the topography to plan the architectural design of the building, I will not be tagging contour lines with elevation markers. What is the recommended procedure for aligning the Revit model with the topography z axis?

CAtDiva
2017-02-16, 04:06 PM
Short version: I put the topo in its own site model so it can be true elevation. Then I link the building model into that file, move the building both horizontally (in plan) and vertically (in section or elevation) into the right place. I then publish the coordinates to the building model so I can link the site model into the building model by Shared Coordinates.

Long version: read through Steve Stafford's blog posts on Shared Coordinates: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2012/05/shared-coordinate-post-summary.html.

ctc
2017-02-20, 03:46 AM
Thanks. When I create the topography it's on file, it's over 7500 feet away from the default project base point and survey point location. I believe I read in help that all models should be within 1 mile of the survey point. Should I move the topography?

CAtDiva
2017-02-20, 04:35 PM
Thanks. When I create the topography it's on file, it's over 7500 feet away from the default project base point and survey point location. I believe I read in help that all models should be within 1 mile of the survey point. Should I move the topography?

Do you mean vertically 7500 ft or horizontally?

If it's vertically, I actually kind of like having my topo at true elevation (which is 6000+ ft above sea level for most projects I work on). Then if I need to, I can tag spot elevations for coordination with civil. Even horizontally I don't usually worry about it unless I get errors. I don't do much work in my site models because they're generally just for reference and to get a nice earth cut on elevations/sections.

ctc
2017-02-20, 04:46 PM
Do you mean vertically 7500 ft or horizontally?
Horizontally. What kind of the errors might you get if your model is that far away?

CAtDiva
2017-02-20, 05:29 PM
Horizontally. What kind of the errors might you get if your model is that far away?

The errors usually occur when the CAD linework is more than 20 miles from the origin. If you read through Steve Stafford's blogs that I shared earlier, I believe he covers about moving the survey point if you want it in a specific location.

ctc
2017-02-20, 09:06 PM
If you read through Steve Stafford's blogs that I shared earlier, I believe he covers about moving the survey point if you want it in a specific location.
Yes, I read through many of them. Great stuff. Thanks for the heads-up.

Here is something bizarre, when I create the topo from a point file it does not align with a linked DWG!? So I deleted the created topo, and created a new topo from the DWG which of course aligns. But that is bizarre behavior isn't it?