PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Face Based Families & Basic Ceilings

HelmetFire
2017-03-09, 08:54 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen,

The Goal

To have a set of face based families for use in reflected ceiling plans so that in the event a user accidentally deletes a ceiling they won’t also delete the elements hosted by it.

The Snags

• When placing these families in a basic ceiling (as may happen during design) they won’t cut the ceiling.
• When changing a compound ceiling that is being cut by these families to a basic ceiling (which is a possibility I can’t rule out) I am forced to delete the family instances because Revit “Can’t cut instance(s) of it out of it’s host” and “Highlighted geometry no longer determines a plane.”

Are these snags related to the limitations of basic ceilings or am I overlooking something? Thanks.

david_peterson
2017-03-10, 07:25 PM
Did you use an opening or a void to cut the Ceiling Object?

HelmetFire
2017-03-13, 05:26 PM
Dave,

Voids, I believe openings are only available in host-based families? A member of another forum gave me a jewel, something like basic ceilings have no physical properties therefore there's nothing to cut. What do you think? Thanks.

david_peterson
2017-03-13, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure most of my face based light fixture cut the ceiling with a void.
Most ceiling have layers to them just like walls so I'm not sure about the no physical properties. I'm not sure where that would come from.