PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wireframe excess lines from dwg 3D block

pfrederico
2005-03-29, 01:30 AM
I have several 3D blocks in dwg format that I would love to import into revit as 3D families. The problem is the following:

After I do it I end up with wireframed versions of these models no matter what the view. Is there any way to use linework to hide the excess lines? I try to use it but in the family editor it's turned off and revit reads the 3D block as an entire piece that can't be exploded.

Is it possible to clean the 3D block?

patricks
2005-03-29, 01:50 AM
I always bring AutoCAD files into a drafting view, and I believe it should give you the option to explode the imported object.

Now I have always just done 2D details and things like that, I don't think I've ever tried to bring in a 3D AutoCAD object.

Are you trying to make a 3D object family or a 2D detail family?

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-29, 01:55 AM
From Revit Help content about ACIS objects:

Revit supports importing ACIS objects contained in DWG or DXF files. Such objects, describing solids or trimmed surfaces, are created, for example, by the AutoCAD commands Draw Solids and Draw Region. Revit supports the following types of surfaces when importing ACIS objects

plane
sphere
torus
cylinder
cone
elliptical cylinder
elliptical cone
extruded surface
revolved surface
Revit also supports the import of smart solids from MicroStation.

Revit does not export dwg and dxf files with ACIS objects.

TIP: To use ACIS imports for face base host commands, import geometry into an In-place family of category Mass or Generic Model.

pfrederico
2005-03-29, 02:28 AM
I tried your suggestion Steve, but it's not working.

The block was originally made in Sketchup, exported to dwg format and then imported into Revit. All I want to do is clean the extra lines so I'm just left with what I need.
I'm attaching the file as an example so you can check it out yourself.

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-29, 02:31 AM
I tried your suggestion Steve, but it's not working.

The block was originally made in Sketchup, exported to dwg format and then imported into Revit. All I want to do is clean the extra lines so I'm just left with what I need.
I'm attaching the file as an example so you can check it out yourself.Coming from SketchUP the issues is FACES. Revit won't work with the faces that result from the SketchUP Export. You'd need to create solids in Acad. There is a command to convert faces to solids in Acad I believe, though I can't for the life of me remember right now.

SkiSouth
2005-03-29, 03:29 AM
here's your cleaned file through 3dsmax. Would be better if exported to 3ds. file format.
Use the techno-notop and add a glass top the size you need. Remember the lines of the faces will disappear when you switch to accurender and render the table.