PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Creating a BIM system

asiaashraf821339
2017-03-27, 07:57 AM
Hi,
I need to create a BIM system in my company.

1- what is the main points that should included (is it the template, families BEP, Naming convesions...) ?
2- what is the usefel sources that could help in this issue?
3- If anyone could share some documents that would be very useful.

Thanks.

KoryCox
2017-03-28, 08:35 PM
Helping your organization start to get on top of BIM is quite an undertaking that is much greater than mere templates or naming conventions. These are the least among what it means to work in BIM. At it's core BIM is about creating an intelligent rich model, and analyzing or extracting the data you need for all the tasks related to the design, construction, and maintenance of a building. It is far more about process than it is about software. Just using Revit does not a BIM capable firm make.

I suggest two things for you.

First, do some research online. There are many presentations available in a number of places on what BIM actually is. Watch a few to get an idea of how the conversation is evolving.

Second, you should work with a team in your office to develop a BIM execution plan. for the firm as whole, or for an upcoming project. There are free templates available. I like the ones available from Penn State and the USAF. but there are others as well.

http://www.bim.psu.edu/

This will just get you started. It's quite a long road, and the reality is that the industry doesn't yet know what BIM is, or how to implement it. The firms on the cutting edge are experimenting and making some headway in developing processes that get us a step closer all the time.

Once you've read through some documentation set some realistic goals for what you might be able to achieve in 6 months, a year, or two years. Implementing Revit on your next project in concert with engineers also using Revit is a great first step into the beginnings of a BIM workflow.