PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Beam not visible through floor in section.

bclarch
2017-04-07, 03:24 PM
I have placed beams in a project. When I cut sections, the beams are obscured by the wall and floor construction. In the attached views you can see the bottom portions of the beams where they extend below the wall & floor elements but the upper portions are not visible. I know that this has to be some simple visibility setting thing but nothing I've tried has worked. I'm feeling particularly brain dead this morning. I hope someone can point out the obvious solution.

david_peterson
2017-04-10, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing it might be a detail level thing.
Set the structural framing to fine. Just a guess.

bclarch
2017-04-10, 09:03 PM
Hi Dave,
Yeah, I already tried that. Thanks for taking a stab at an answer. I even opened the beam family to check the visibility settings of the extrusions inside it. As far as I can see there isn't any reason why it shouldn't work. I remember the pre-AutoCAD days when you could send misbehaving files to the factory and they would figure out what the glitch was.

PijPiwo
2017-04-10, 09:37 PM
Could you upload just the beam and the floor so we could troubleshoot?

bclarch
2017-04-10, 10:04 PM
I created a new project using the default Revit architectural template. I cut and pasted the beam and the floor into the project. I cut a section and it worked like it is supposed to. See image. Now I just have to figure out which of the hundreds of visibility controls is different between the current project and the Revit template. :roll:

PijPiwo
2017-04-10, 10:50 PM
Try cutting the beam (to clipboard) and then pasting aligned to the same place. Repeat with the floor. Sometimes C/P helps to fix minor glitches.

bclarch
2017-04-11, 03:07 PM
It's not just that particular beam and that floor. All beams are being hidden by all floors and all walls in all sections. I have tried creating callouts from the sections thinking that the visibility in the callout might be different but I get the same result. I thought that it might be a phasing issue since the beams are new and the floors are existing, but changing both to new or both to existing had no effect either. As a workaround, I'm using the Beam Section Detail Component in my enlarged sections and details. It just bugs me that I can't figure this out.