PDA

View Full Version : Walls with Stepped Finishes?

dnilsson
2003-12-05, 03:51 PM
I need to show a brick on cmu wall with an eifs cornice. In plan, the cmu is a straight run, but the brick steps in and out to create pilasters. I can do this with an attached column, but in section I get a double layer of brick (the brick remains in it's typical position as well as in the pilaster position). And when I try to attach a hosted wall sweep for eifs at the parapet, I get overlapping materials.

I'm not describing this very well, but does anyone have any experience with this type of wall?

dnilsson
2003-12-05, 03:54 PM
I guess the core problem is that attached columns only pick up the primary finish of the wall. Is there any way to get a column to wrap all the elements in a wall?

Allen Lacy
2003-12-05, 04:11 PM
See if this thread (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=886&highlight=column) will help.

aaronrumple
2003-12-05, 04:16 PM
Yes. The whole column/wall relationship needs a bit more work. As you noticed - it is dependent on the function of the layers.

However in section - there are other problems.

I never do it quite that way as I want more control over all the parts. I build it the way the contractor does. There are really several wall types in this small area.

dnilsson
2003-12-05, 06:49 PM
Thanks Aaron, I think the multiple wall style elements will work.

Archman
2003-12-05, 07:26 PM
Aaron:

I'm curious why the brick around the coulumns does not show up in elevation in the section views. seems strange to show it one way in plan and another in section.