PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use Plan Regions on a RCP?

cosmickingpin
2005-03-29, 03:55 PM
I was trying to put a plan region on a RCP to show a ceiling in a two story space to show this particular ceiling above my view depth setting on the "general" view range setting, but there are other spaces in the plan I do not want to show as they are shown on the other RCP. It is a complicated project with 2 story and 1.5 story spaces all mixed up. But when I drew a Plan region on the RCP and changes to the plan region's view range would override the settings on the rest of the plan. I called Revit support and I was told that plan regions are not intended to be used on RCP (news to me) and that represented an inappropriate use of plan regions. Is it me or is that odd? I remember I blessed the day plan regions were introduced (no more overlaying multiple views on sheets just because I want to show a high window). I wonder how much harder that would be to either make RCPs plan region friendly, or make them impossible to place on a RCP? Seem silly to allow us an option and give us no warning of their ineffectiveness in certain instances.

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-29, 04:59 PM
I called Revit support and I was told that plan regions are not intended to be used on RCP (news to me) and that represented an inappropriate use of plan regions.That is inconsistent with help documentation

The Plan Region command lets you define a region within a floor plan or RCP view that has a different view range from the overall view. Plan regions are useful for split level plans or for displaying inserts above or below the cut plane. Plan regions are closed sketches and cannot overlap one another. They can have coincident edges.
What IS critical to understand is that they (plan regions) are intended to show "cut" objects not things beyond. So they work on windows and roofs by moving the cut plane so that it cuts a window or no longer cuts a roof. You need to use the regular view properties > View Depth settings to see what is beyond.

cosmickingpin
2005-03-29, 05:11 PM
I do see your point about the plan region was not intended to adjust view depth, but it seems to work well on plans, changes to the plan region depth do not affect the master view range settings. There seems to be a difference between the way plan region depth settings behave on Floor plans and the way the behave on Rcp, you agree with that right? On the floor plan you can change the view depth within a plan region and have no effect on the master view settings. On a RCP and change to the view depth in a plan region seems to override the overall settings for that view. If that is the case they should disable it as a setting within the plan region's settings box, like they do for the "bottom of view" setting in RCPs.

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-29, 05:37 PM
Revised my post...

I do see some "strange" behavior with the plan region if I alter the view depth value for the plan region it over rides the overall view setting instead of only isolating the area covered by the plan region. Need a little more time to experiment later to see if it is consistent in regular plan views.

Attached the project I used to try it out if you want to see it.

cosmickingpin
2005-03-29, 07:47 PM
I downloaded your file and that is exactly what it is doing in the project I am working on. It was Robert Mercanini at autodesk who told me plan regions are not intended for RCPs. He seems like such a nice young man too... Looks like a bug to me. If I create another plan region within your ceiling plan and set it to another view depth, then there is still no effect, the most far set parameter seems to overide any other settings or pland regions in the same view. Something is strange here.

Wes Macaulay
2005-03-29, 09:23 PM
How about trying a jogged detail-type section? In elevation you can jog the section this way and that to suit...

cosmickingpin
2005-03-29, 09:32 PM
It seems like I can only split the section line in one elevation. That might work in some cases, but not for what I need. It looks like I might have gotten poor Rob in trouble. He has opened a SR for me (I called hime several hours ago and he open the SR about 10 minutes ago). If you read this Rob, Sorry. I will keep everyone updated on what he comes back with.

How about trying a jogged detail-type section? In elevation you can jog the section this way and that to suit...