PDA

View Full Version : 2017 graphic overrides in primary view do not update in dependent views

mwatness
2017-05-24, 01:10 PM
Recently we updated the primary view- hiding unwanted modeled elements and added graphic overrides to walls so fire rating "material" of an existing wall would display in the new phase. Unfortunately those updates are not reflected in the dependent views. As a work around we re-created some of the dependent views, and in others we manually applied the same overrides to the dependent view from the project browser. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I am trying to determine the cause of this condition and avoid it if possible. This seems like a program error since dependent views are suppose to have all of the visibility characteristics of the primary view.

In at least one case, a co-worker applied the overrides to one of the dependent views (via activating view from the sheet) then realizing that would result in updating 12 views stopped & applied the changes to the primary view instead. -- could this be the cause?

damon.sidel
2017-05-25, 05:05 PM
Hi and welcome on your first post!

That is indeed unfortunately and unwanted behavior... mostly.

Hiding elements in a view, whether the primary that has dependents or one of its dependent views, will not be displayed in the other views. That is the standard behavior of "Hide in View". I take advantage of this for annotations near a match line, for example, where the annotation relates to the left partial plan, but not the right.

As for the graphic overrides, how are you applying those? If you are selecting one or more elements and right-clicking "Override Graphics In View" then it will behave like "Hide in View" and be view specific (ignoring dependent views).

These two tools, "Hide in View" and "Override Graphics In View" are, in my mind, part of a hierarchy of view manipulation. From top level (most universal) to lowest level (view specific):
- Project wide: Object Styles: affects display of all objects in project
- View specific: Visibility/Graphics: can be changed to affect one specific view (as long as View Templates are not used)
- Element specific: Selecting elements and choosing "XX in View" command: can override all the above graphics changes for each specific element

There are also three tools that allow you to choose to affect multiple views that you choose to change the graphics away from the project-wide, Object Styles:
- View Templates: can be applied to multiple views to affect objects in specific views
- Filters: can be applied to multiple views to affect objects in specific views. Each view can use the filter differently and/or can be part of the View Template

Finally, it does not matter how you edit the view properties (Visibility/Graphics of the view, element-specific overrides, etc); editing by activating the view on the sheet or by opening the view results in the same behavior.

Hope all this helps! If you tell me what specifically you were trying to accomplish, I might be able to help give you a strategy that will be more efficient.