PDA

View Full Version : JPEG import lost in action?

Gadget Man
2005-03-30, 02:22 AM
Hello all the REVIT gurus!

While this question might be asked already in this Forum, I can't spend any time right now on trying to find it . I'm sorry - it is NOT a case of laziness on my part - I am absolutely flat out right now...

My problem is as follows:

I cooperate with many builders. For each of them I use an identical title block with the exception of their particular logos (JPEG image). Until now, I had a separate title block family for each one of them, consisting of very similar (if not identical) frame + a particular logo. Recently, as I learned more about REVIT, I kept on introducing "new" features and parameters to my title blocks, to each file separately. Finally I became "sick and tired" of updating every title block family separately (and making them look the same), so I thought of creating one universal title block family with family types differing only by a different logo.

For each client (builder) I created a separate generic annotation family, consisting of their logo (imported JPEG image) and some text - their address block, particularly requested copyright text, etc.

In my title block family, I loaded all of those generic annotation families of particular builders, positioned them "one on top of another" in the same spot, and assigned to each of them a "label" parameter (with the builder's name). So now, when I flex my title block family and choose from a "drop down list" the name of a builder - their logos and relevant text changes, hiding all other and living only the desired one. Brilliant....!

I opened a new project file, loaded this title block family into it and.... bummer! While the logo area changes accordingly to a drop down list selection, all the JPEG images are not shown! Only the text part shows up...

What am I doing wrong?

Hopefully, some good soul will help me with that one...

Jerry.

Mr Spot
2005-03-30, 02:46 AM
Haven't tried doing that b4.

But there is no need to pile all the different generic annotations on top of each other. You can delete all except for one and have the family type set to a parameter. Then you can select from all the loaded families of that category...

Try this and see if it helps. If the JPG's are still MIA then i'd say it may be a bug??? Or they didn't think about this when the tool was created?

luigi
2005-03-30, 02:15 PM
Jerry, do you mind attaching your titleblock? I will look at it and see if there is something I can do to help.

luigi
2005-03-30, 02:30 PM
Never mind Jerry, I tried to recreate your example with no success, the image just lost. It looks like if you had the image directly in the titleblock it would work, but an image in an annotation which is in a titleblock which is in a project, a no no. I will see if I can think of something...but by the way, great thinking this out, it may not work with images, but it is a great advantage to be able to achieve...

frame
2005-03-30, 05:23 PM
Confirmed - nested image family will not show up when loaded into project.
Good thinking on your part--sorry it's not working-

Gadget Man
2005-03-30, 11:23 PM
Thank you all for your time spent on it.

It is a very curious thing, isn't it? That JPEG missing in action, I mean.

By the way, I've just noticed, that not only JPEG is missing...! Missing are also the LABELS!

I had two labels defined as a part of a text component of some of those Generic Annotation families (contact names, telephone numbers, etc.) I passed their parameters into the Title Block family when I loaded them, and they behave fine... until I import my Title Block into project. Then they disappear too...

But in the case of some of those "Logos" (nested Generic Annotations) I have there a straight DWG line drawing import (instead of a JPEG) and this works fine!

To sum it up: when the Generic Annotation family, consisting a mixture of a pure, plain text, DWG drawing import, JPG import and Label object(s) is nested into the Title Block family, everything works (and shows up) fine. However, when this Title Block is then imported into a project, JPG images and Labels are not visible (or not present - can't tell). One would have to investigate behaviour of other types of objects nested in the Title Block family in similar manner, to draw any general conclusion, I guess. Maybe this is just a characteristic of a Title Block?

By the way, when all of these objects are imported straight into a Title Block family (ie. not via nested General Annotation), everything works fine - except you have no controll over them the way I wanted... (substitution of one "whole, composite logo block" for another by simple "click")

Also, there is no apparent way to pass their (Labels') parameters into the project (to be accessible simply from the Project Information window)... even if they are visible in the Title Block properties (would that suggest that the Labels (and perhaps JPG) are still present, but not visible...? If their parameters are still present?)

Very curious - and confusing...

Jerry.

Scott Wilson
2008-08-12, 05:35 PM
Bump.

Having a problem trying to achieve the original poster's goal, also. Is this a bug that has just never been addressed?