PDA

View Full Version : Brick Return Issue

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 05:02 PM
Does anyone have a technique for building this return? Brick on CMU exterior wall meeting an EIFS on CMU wall at an offset corner. The CMU is bearing and should stay in-line.

J. Grouchy
2005-03-30, 05:05 PM
You could always just build that small portion of brick as a single-wythe brick wall.

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 06:06 PM
So close!!!
Any ideas?

Michelle Gibson
2005-03-30, 06:10 PM
I have the same question only in the vertical. We do brick/block base on stud backup, with stucco above, same stud back up. Put together as a stacked wall, with stucco being the host for doors etc... So, we put in a door frame, which wraps the stucco, but we want the brick pulled back to clear the door frame. Any suggestions?

Michelle Gibson

luigi
2005-03-30, 06:13 PM
Brad, this is probably not what you would like to hear, but what you have done lately in your image is as good as you get with the brick part of the wall components. What I suggest is this...

You have plans that have this detail and blowup details showing this where you might have more detail shown(i.e. mortar, etc.) you might even have tons of this detail in a project...Then you have 3d views that show the exterior aspect of that detail.

Solution, use edit cut profile for the plans and use the paint bucket on a 3d view. The paint bucket will fix all of your exterior views (elevations, 3d, etc.) the edit cut profile will fix the imperfections in plan view. I had to do this on a large project, but it took me less to draw the cut profiles in the whole plan drawings than it did trying to figure out a way for Revit to do it automatically...

:)

J. Grouchy
2005-03-30, 06:23 PM
So close!!!
Any ideas?

I got it to work okay...
I added an air space so the airspace of the two walls would merge. Take a look and see if this is what you are going for. The dialog you see if for the single wythe brick at the return...the other wall is basically the same thing but with the CMU structure.

You CAN also do the Edit Cut Profile...but the problem with it is any movement in your plan and the cut may become invalid...so you have to double-check it before finalizing your dwgs.

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 06:26 PM
Thanks luigi. This is exactly what I need to hear. I know that walls have limitations. I guess I should have asked if there were known 'workarounds'. I just don't like the term 'workarounds'. My solution was to just leave the plan alone and create a correct detail. The contractor will excecute the detail correctly (one can only hope!). I will try the edit cut profile in plan. I just don't want to edit the cut profile in the overall plans as well as the enlarged floor plans. Just something different to manage. I like managing this kind of stuff rather than layers in a****CAD :wink:

The hard part is explaining to my bosses that this new, cool, software will display things correctly most of the time, but will schedule and tag things correctly EVERY TIME! :p

grav8e:
Thanks for your input. I was typing this reply when you added your comments. I'm going to try your option too! (and thanks for telling me about the cut profile / edit issue!)

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 06:34 PM
I got it to work okay... the single wythe brick at the return...

I can't seem to mimic your walls. Could you show me the separate pieces of the walls?
Thanks.

J. Grouchy
2005-03-30, 06:49 PM
I can't seem to mimic your walls. Could you show me the separate pieces of the walls?
Thanks.

Sorry...should've described it better. The return is actually drawn as 3 segments so it'll merge in with the other wall. I haven't played around with all the options yet, so there may be another way to accomplish it...but I'm attaching the file for you.

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 07:00 PM
Thanks so much. Very helpful. I think I'm going to stay with my idea and just clarify corner with a detail. I will try to believe that the contractor will look at the details. :-|

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 07:50 PM
Thanks Ski! Another great reason why I love this forum.... Ask a question and always get several ways to chose from!

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 09:03 PM
Ski,
In your avi, you did something interesting that I cannot duplicate. You selected the end of a wall to disallow join. How did you do that? I selected a wall grip, rt-click and only get Drag End as an option. :screwy:

Share, I beg of you! I hate the wall join tool. Is there a way to do this with a corner as well? Share.... :???:

Scott D Davis
2005-03-30, 09:25 PM
What Ski has demostrated may not be a feature of 7.0..... ;-)

p.s. What codec is used for the AVI? I can't play it....

bowlingbrad
2005-03-30, 09:44 PM
Hey Scott.

Mysteriously.... Ski's post is gone!? :screwy:

I hope he didn't get in trouble. I would feel so bad. :(

beegee
2005-03-30, 09:47 PM
Brad,

You can visit Ski every second week, after you submit a written application to the warden and we run a full security check on you and your family. :grin:

Ski is looking at a problem with one part of the AVI and will repost soon.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-30, 09:51 PM
Hey Scott.

Mysteriously.... Ski's post is gone!? :screwy:

I hope he didn't get in trouble. I would feel so bad. :(
No trouble, we just have to be careful to make sure everyone conforms to their NDA....

SkiSouth
2005-03-30, 10:09 PM
Yeah, my mistake. Write me while I visit the Greybar Hotel. The AVI is updated now...

Clyne Curtis
2005-03-30, 10:27 PM
No trouble, we just have to be careful to make sure everyone conforms to their NDA....
I'm confused...We had our Northern Utah Revit User Group meeting last night and were given a demo of Revit Building 8. The Autodesk rep told us that that NDA no longer applied and that we could discuss the new features with anyone. What gives?

Clyne

beegee
2005-03-30, 10:34 PM
The NDA was lifted for some other Autodesk products, but remains in place for Revit Building 8.0.

I'm confused...We had our Northern Utah Revit User Group meeting last night and were given a demo of Revit Building 8. The Autodesk rep told us that that NDA no longer applied and that we could discuss the new features with anyone. What gives?

Clyne

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-30, 10:42 PM
...I'm confused...Might be fair to say they are too? We are seeing the transition from a web release, like in the past, to a more formal beta process. So naturally this is, normal for most Autodesk products and their teams, but different for the Revit product team. So a couple hiccups along the way aren't surprising are they?

SkiSouth
2005-03-30, 11:05 PM
A "corrected" AVI.

beegee
2005-03-31, 03:05 AM
Good vid Ski.

Gets 7 out of 8 in my book ;)