PDA

View Full Version : Roof-wall connection

Michael Coviello
2005-03-30, 05:48 PM
Hi,
So far in all my revit projects i've been using roofs w/out interior finishes (strapping and sheetrock). I had some free time and have been trying to make a roof type w/strapping and sheetrock to represent a cathedral condition. I've run into a problem with how it connects to the wall.
1.) I can't get the structural core to start at the level line (my roof is set to level2)
2.) how can i cut the strapping and sheetrock on the exterior
How are others doing this? Once it is joined i have to manually drag the roof down to the level line so the structure is at the spring point.

If this is a limitation in Revit, I just won't try to model the interior finishes of the roof; but i hope i am just missing something here.
Please see attached.

luigi
2005-03-30, 05:56 PM
Have you tried to see how the detail looks if you "attach" the top of the wall to the roof? JUst curious, also, if you can have the cropped image show a little more around it might help...

Revised: to answer your number 2).... I wouldn't do the interior of the roof, if some of the roof has the interior, but some doesn't....one way, which didn't work for me, is to have 2 roofs, one with the interior, and one without...but again it didn't work for me..
What worked for me is to have the roof(even without the main structural core, if you have the trusses shown/visible on the exterior) and add a soffit or ceiling on the inside face of the roof.

Michael Coviello
2005-03-30, 09:18 PM
Hi,
Here is a slightly larger image showing what happens when i attach the wall to the roof.

kshawks
2005-03-30, 09:31 PM
Michael:

We cut the section then use detail components over the section to give it a more detailed look. This may seem backward; however it works for us. Concerning the structural core I tend to adjust the roof in section to obtain the proper alignment and then start the detailing.

Scott Hopkins
2005-03-30, 09:58 PM
Micheal,

Yes it is a limitation in Revit. It is either caused by a bug or a programmer that didn't understand common construction practices. I have spoken to the Revit factory about this one. You can either avoid using interior finish layers in roofs or adjust the elevation of each roof in section.

Michael Coviello
2005-03-30, 10:07 PM
Thanks,
I'm happy to know it's not something that was possible. I was going crazy trying to get it to work properly. I will work around it in the future.

Revit Developers: Please consider fixing this in future releases.