PDA

View Full Version : glass office partition walls

k.armstrong
2005-03-31, 02:13 PM
i searched augi and came up with nothing really - I'm looking for how to model/represent glass office partitions

typically the would be made up of small alum frame to perimeter (say 25-40mm wide) with 6-10mm glass - usually butt joints no mullions and then there is a mullion beside door, with frame going over top of door and forming jamb

anyone set up a family like this?

Ken

k.armstrong
2005-03-31, 02:14 PM
sorry forgot to mention - they would be full height to ceiling

aaronrumple
2005-03-31, 02:19 PM
Use a curtain wall. Add mullions only where needed. Add grids at the butt joints.

adegnan
2005-04-03, 04:58 AM
I started using curtain walls to create my screened porches, too. Gives the flexibility I need. I created mulltion profiles for the posts, headers, intermediate rails, top & bottom plates, etc. Then in 2-d views I can turn off the panels but the structure will still display... and the stuff inside the screened porch will still show.

Alex Page
2005-05-18, 08:12 PM
How do you deal with placing doors? ie: generally I would always use, say, 810mm wide doors, I assume one would put in a curtain grid 810mm wide, but seems a little clumsey, especially at sketch design stage.
Anyone have other thoughts on creating glass office partitions?
Thought that using a glass 'wall' and creating wall sweeps 'in the properties of the wall' could work better. Then you could put in architectural columns for the vertical mullions.
This way it means our designers can just place doors in plan, whereas our 'developed designers/ draughtspeople could then assign horizontal/ vertical mullions, heights/ spacings to suit which would propogate throughtout project...also mitred corners look correct. or alternatively you could start with glass 'walls', insert doors etc etc then split wall and convert the remains to glass curtain walls
Any ideas?

Actually, just checked my generic door, and it doesnt work with a very thin glass wall!...bugger

Alex Page
2005-05-20, 02:19 AM
Anyone have any ideas?

beegee
2005-05-20, 02:30 AM
I always place a curtain wall, add a grid and then either use a curtain wall door or else swap the panel for a wall and place a solid door.

I really don't find that a problem.

If you want a real fast method, make a wall type out of glass - 6mm thick or whatever, and use that and place your doors - whammo. But you won't be able to swap it later for a curtain wall and you won't be able to easily add mullions and transoms later. You could however add model lines to fake up mullions and transoms.

Mr Spot
2005-05-20, 04:31 AM
Only problem with this as there is currently a bug with these doors/windows correctly reporting to/from room info.

beegee
2005-05-20, 04:36 AM
Yes Chris, you're supposed to be getting that fixed up for the rest of us - we're waiting ( taps foot...looks at watch .. sighs )

Alex Page
2005-05-20, 05:18 AM
I always place a curtain wall, add a grid and then either use a curtain wall door or else swap the panel for a wall and place a solid door.

I really don't find that a problem.

If you want a real fast method, make a wall type out of glass - 6mm thick or whatever, and use that and place your doors - whammo. But you won't be able to swap it later for a curtain wall and you won't be able to easily add mullions and transoms later. You could however add model lines to fake up mullions and transoms.

As I mentioned before,I thought that placing 6mm glass wall and adding sweeps to the wall properties (as transoms) would probably be just as 'refined' as using curtain walls...easy to do but gives the advantage of our designers chucking 810mm doors in wherever they want to...as you said, fast.
The reason why Im repeating myself is Im still not sure (!) which way to go.... :confused:

Thanks for your suggestion thou.
By the way...what bug are you talking about 'doors - to/from rooms'? Does one way work at the moment and the other not? This is important for me and might make the decision

beegee
2005-05-20, 05:29 AM
Doors placed in wall panels ( swapped out of curtain panels ) will not schedule to their rooms.

I wouldn't use sweep for mullions - probably gets too memory heavy - I'd use model lines if the design needed to proceed that quickly, but my point was that I would use curtain walls as a first preference to glass walls anyway.

k.armstrong
2005-05-22, 04:23 AM
Thanks Everyone -
i have used BeeGees suggestion of replacing glass panel with 6mm thick wall and inserting door into wall - only 1 issue - the wall extends into the centre of the mullions i have dropped on the grid - at 1:100 scale doesn't really matter - just a little untidy

ken

beegee
2005-05-22, 04:46 AM
Ken, I think things are getting a bit confused here. Let me clarify :-

Method 1:
Draw a curtain wall.
You can choose to place mullions or not if in early design.
If you want a door, place a curtain wall grid. You can then either place a curtain wall door in that panel, or convert that panel to any solid wall and place a normal door . The door and panel will not extend to the mullion centre if a mullion is placed. They will extend to the grid line if a mullion is not placed.

Method 2.
Create a wall type for 6mm glass ( not a curtain wall - just a wall.)
Place model lines to indicate mullions and transom if desired. The wall will extend through these model lines.
Place doors as in any other wall.

Does that make sense ?

Alex Page
2005-05-22, 07:52 PM
Doesnt it make since if not using curtain walls to use wall sweeps as mullions - then later you can change the profile to be the same as the 'chosen' mullion

beegee
2005-05-22, 09:43 PM
As long as there's no performance hit , sure you could do that. We're really talking about ways to get a curtain wall down fast and easy in the design stage I'm not sure that there will be more time saving if you are setting up sweeps for all the mullions.

Alex Page
2005-05-23, 01:03 AM
As long as there's no performance hit , sure you could do that. We're really talking about ways to get a curtain wall down fast and easy in the design stage I'm not sure that there will be more time saving if you are setting up sweeps for all the mullions.

Still not convinced...if one uses a 6mm glass wall, its alot faster putting in doors during sketch design stage, just place the door!. If using curtain walls, I have to tell the designers to draw the wall, put in one/two curtain grids at 810mm in plan, (maybe swap the panel for a wall), then insert a door.
Setting up sweeps for all the mullions can be done at a later stage, (within the wall properties, so only done once), and again, faster than adding mullions to all the curtain-glass walls......dont know how great a performance hit it is thou', thats my main worry.

Dont get me wrong Beegee, will probably use your method since I respect/ agree with alot of your other threads, just trying to make sure our project gets started on the right foot