PDA

View Full Version : 2016 How to hide joint lines?

ivandrew05758009
2017-10-23, 02:01 AM
Hello all, as you can see in the attached picture, I created a simple sweep with a rectangle profile. But how do I hide the joint line? I know once loaded into a project, I can use the linework tool invisible line to hide it. But our project has over 30 3D views, and each 3D view has over 300 joint lines like this, which means about 10,000 joint lines. Just imagine manually hiding 10,000 joint lines with linework tool. Too tedious! So I'm wondering if there's a way to globally hide these joint lines?

Thanks.

david_peterson
2017-10-23, 01:16 PM
Is that one piece (a single sweep?) and is the geometry pure.
If it's done correctly you shouldn't see a line there.
Needs to be perfect tangent starting at a quadrant.
I'm guessing something with the path is amiss.

ivandrew05758009
2017-10-25, 12:00 PM
Is that one piece (a single sweep?) and is the geometry pure.
If it's done correctly you shouldn't see a line there.
Needs to be perfect tangent starting at a quadrant.
I'm guessing something with the path is amiss.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it's a single sweep. I know when it's tangent, the joint line will disappear. But our designers usually give me many curved lines that are not always tangent. That' what they want. So, I need to find a way to hide those joint lines. In SketchUp, you can smoothen or soften the geometry so that there won't be any joint lines like this. I'm wondering if there's similar way to do this in revit. Manually hiding 90,000 joint lines is not a wise move. Revit should be smarter than this.

Thanks.

david_peterson
2017-10-25, 06:00 PM
You say "Revit should be smarter than this". I say your designers should be smarter than that. No offense, but if there's a line there, it's because it's not a smooth surface.
If the designer doesn't like it they should do the math to make it smooth or to smooth it out. Revit does this because that's how you told it to be built. it's not sketch up and doesn't do meshes. Revit does real world.

ivandrew05758009
2017-10-26, 05:23 AM
You say "Revit should be smarter than this". I say your designers should be smarter than that. No offense, but if there's a line there, it's because it's not a smooth surface.
If the designer doesn't like it they should do the math to make it smooth or to smooth it out. Revit does this because that's how you told it to be built. it's not sketch up and doesn't do meshes. Revit does real world.

Yes, I know. But sometimes designers can be stubborn enough. They know their lines are not perfectly tangent, but it's alright as long as you can't tell the difference by eyes. Their lines work in SketchUp, so it should also work in Revit. Eventually, I'm the one left to manually hiding over 90,000 lines in Revit. That's the reason I'm asking for help. I want to know if there's a global way to do this.

Anyway, thank you for your help. Anyone? Please help if you know. Regards.

david_peterson
2017-10-26, 01:01 PM
To answer your question, No. There's not.
There's a line in the Geometry and it's not a sub-category.
The only possible way (and frankly I don't think it's even possible, but I'm not that good with Dynamo so I don't really know) would be to create a dynamo script.
In theory each instance should be created the same way. So there should be a way that you can select the line based of off points on the geometry. And then turn apply a linework tool.
But again I'm not sure this would work. I think it'd be easier to fix the geometry than figuring out the script.

ivandrew05758009
2017-11-01, 01:10 AM
Had trouble logging in this site. So sad to hear there's no easy way to solve my problem. Thanks anyway.