PDA

View Full Version : SPOT DIMENSION not consistent....

luigi
2005-03-31, 08:02 PM
Spot Dimensions work on any sketched items...works on any point on a plan of an object if it is a flat object...works well on a topography which has a slope...BUT....

Why does it have a problem choosing a point on a FLOOR OBJECT that is sloped?

Was this capability just overlooked, or is it not so easy to program?

cosmickingpin
2005-03-31, 08:24 PM
First off, Much love to the Italian Stallion Luigi the Great!
Second.
I could see where curved surfaced would freak it out (roofs by extrusion etc..), but floors and roofs always have a slope of some kind. I know in the past I have faked it with carefully placed text, but that is not very Revit like now is it.

FK
2005-04-01, 04:35 AM
The other way around - did not get around to disallow snapping to sloped site surface.

The elevation of a level surface is constant, so it does not matter where you place the dimension. Not so on a sloped surface, moving the mouse a little bit will change the readout.

Solution: snap to a horizontal edge or a corner.

beegee
2005-04-01, 06:01 AM
Sometimes its necessary to place a spot elevation dimension ( Z Height ) on a sloping surface, other than the horizontal ends or corners. Revit allows us to do this within a 3D sketch by placing a model line on a sloping plane and snapping a spot dimension to it, but it does not allow the same thing within a plan view. That's inconsistent.

>>Solution: snap to a horizontal edge or a corner.

luigi
2005-04-01, 08:31 AM
The other way around - did not get around to disallow snapping to sloped site surface.

Please don't disallow this, for it works and it would be a shame to disallow it.....please? Allow also to be able to do that with sloped floors, that would be good!!!

FK
2005-04-01, 05:42 PM
Revit allows us to do this within a 3D sketch by placing a model line on a sloping plane and snapping a spot dimension to it, but it does not allow the same thing within a plan view. That's inconsistent.
You can't place a model line or snap to it?

Wes Macaulay
2005-04-01, 05:51 PM
No - even a model line drawn on the slab face won't work, so what I've done (major hack) is create a small floor void which creates a "nick" in the slab. Then I can get the spot dim tool to work on the little nick.

J. Grouchy
2005-04-01, 06:49 PM
It would be useful when placing a spot dimension to indicate a 'line' on the surface representing everything on the surface at the same elevation (basically a topo line for a built surface). When in the spot elevation command, hovering over the surface would show these topo lines and the elevation tag would 'snap' to these lines. You could place the spot anywhere along that line and there could be an input box in the toolbar above to designate a particular elevation along that surface (or to input topo spacing for that surface at a user-defined increment). I don't know how or even if this would be workable...Pros? Cons?

I suppose this post could be ported over to the wishlist if anyone else thought it would be a good idea...