PDA

View Full Version : How should I make a Preferated metal wall or ceiling?

cosmickingpin
2005-03-31, 09:21 PM
I should know this one, but I want to make a perforated metal panel, with actual holes, either as a system panel, independent wall type, but I don't want to go to the trouble of editing the elevation profile and add in a bunch of holes on every wall, and a surface pattern doesn't quite far enough. I know there has to be a way to handle this as a wall or panel type.
A perforated ceiling is not as big a deal, but I am going to do some renderings for this and want something good looking for it.
Thanks for your time.

luigi
2005-03-31, 09:26 PM
I would suggest getting along with fill patterns and make an accurender material with the holes....it will save your model....

Scott D Davis
2005-03-31, 09:28 PM
if you plan to use it over again, a family would be best. It will be a generic family, with instance parameters for height and width, and then a somewhat complicated parametric array of voids that would add/subtract 'holes' as the panel changed sizes.

J. Grouchy
2005-03-31, 09:31 PM
if you plan to use it over again, a family would be best. It will be a generic family, with instance parameters for height and width, and then a somewhat complicated parametric array of voids that would add/subtract 'holes' as the panel changed sizes.

Can't wait for someone else to do it so I can steal it... :D

Roger Evans
2005-03-31, 10:12 PM
Haven't tried anything like this myself but would Transparency Mapping work like wot is explained in a tutorial by HJ in Revit City?

luigi
2005-03-31, 11:01 PM
That's it Roger!!!
Cosmic, if you are using that idling sitting big daug, then go ahead and model it, but the rendering time will increase as well as your daily routines and your file size will skyrocket. But if you want a decent rendering (not a lot of detailed shadows on the wall panel itself, but of course it will create a 2d shadow on other objects) then I would suggest adding a transparency mapping which has a black and white image showing holes. This will render, but won't show in your shaded/hidden line views, for those I suggest using a surface pattern (you already have a fill pattern for that)
Give us a report on what you are going to do....detailed please, elaborate!!!

MartyC
2005-04-01, 01:52 AM
Cosmick

I do perforated materials this way.

1. Use a suitable surface pattern on all regular drawings for perforated surfaces

2. Go to www.accustudio.com and download the latest material library. (note everyone should do this)

3. Create library as described in the notes and place paths in your settings.

4. You will then have an absolute truck-load (100's) of perforated sheets in a variety of materials. If you want a different colour, simply change it in the material editor. When rendered, the sheet functions as a perforated sheet.

I will say it again, accustudio is an essential material and object resource for revit and Accurender, do not continue without it!

For shaded views (not rendered) where you want see thru the holes, see the notes above........or model a void array to an extrusion maybe??!! Lotsa work!

CheersM

cosmickingpin
2005-04-03, 10:53 PM
The transparency mapping thing worked out really well. I used "Chaperf-128-90.jpg" Opened it in photoshop and reversed the colors, then applied a transparency to it to the material using a Using a brushed metal as a base material. Wow that was a lot easier than I thought. I am sending the renderings now so they won't be ready till morning. Renderings was my main problem The shaded views I can get by with the surface material.

Cosmick

I do perforated materials this way.

1. Use a suitable surface pattern on all regular drawings for perforated surfaces

2. Go to www.accustudio.com and download the latest material library. (note everyone should do this)

3. Create library as described in the notes and place paths in your settings.

4. You will then have an absolute truck-load (100's) of perforated sheets in a variety of materials. If you want a different colour, simply change it in the material editor. When rendered, the sheet functions as a perforated sheet.

I will say it again, accustudio is an essential material and object resource for revit and Accurender, do not continue without it!

For shaded views (not rendered) where you want see thru the holes, see the notes above........or model a void array to an extrusion maybe??!! Lotsa work!

CheersM

MartyC
2005-04-04, 06:33 AM
Hey Cosmick,

Mate, you are still doing it the hard way! The Accustudio way is waaaay easier, and is there on your computer for ever. No messing with photo editor etc. see attachment. Just select, click and render.

The perforated material renders as a perforated material complete with see thrrough holes. There is a selection of different %of solid to void etc., etc. There is choice of metal type, paint etc.

If you are serious about rendering, you should have the Accustudio materials.

And that goes for all of you OK!....just kidding

CheersM

luigi
2005-04-04, 07:29 AM
Hey, I agree, accustudio has done the work for you and it is a very good library to have.

Are you IN with the crowd?

Lashers
2005-04-04, 09:31 AM
Hey guys,

Do I have to download all the accustudio material libs? or just the latest?

I don't have a bandwidth problem, I just don't want to mess up naything in my Revit system by doing the wrong thing . . .

After 3 years! I am just getting around to playing with rendering . . . duh!

Cheers
Lashers

luigi
2005-04-04, 10:31 AM
The latest build should do it, but there are instuctions on the web page...

cosmickingpin
2005-04-04, 02:55 PM
thanks MartyC
Where do I find the file "accustudio_maps_buildxx.exe file" to install the materials into my Lib.? The Library imports with all material folders, but no bitmaps
Cos

Special Instructions for Revit Users:
Double click on the accustudio_mlib_buildxx.exe file

The default location for these instructions iS c:/accustudio. If you choose to install these in a different location, change all of the following references of "c:/accustudio…" to your prefered location.
Press Unzip
Press Close
Double click on the accustudio_maps_buildxx.exe file
Press Unzip
Press Close
Open Revit
From the "Settings" pull down menu choose "options"
Select the "File Locations" Tab
At the bottom, under "Additional rendering material directories"
Click "new", then type or browse to: C:\accustudio
The ACCUSTUDIO library should be available in the "Material Libraries" dialogue.
rev 1.5.10

Hey Cosmick,

Mate, you are still doing it the hard way! The Accustudio way is waaaay easier, and is there on your computer for ever. No messing with photo editor etc. see attachment. Just select, click and render.

The perforated material renders as a perforated material complete with see thrrough holes. There is a selection of different %of solid to void etc., etc. There is choice of metal type, paint etc.

If you are serious about rendering, you should have the Accustudio materials.

And that goes for all of you OK!....just kidding

CheersM

MartyC
2005-04-04, 04:09 PM
Hi Cos,

Yes, seems that the accustudio download isnt a .exe any more??!!

OK this is how mine is set up, replicate as described if confident (and at your own risk!).

Could others out there verify methodology please?

Download .mlib file, build 22 (at present).zip
Download full build 22 bitmaps
Download corian, bigelow and artek while there

Make folder anywhere you like named accustudio (mine is C:accustudio)
Place all .mlib files in new accustudio folder. (including extra bigelow, corian etc)
Make new folder in accustudio folder named maps, place all build 22 maps in there
Make additional folders for special materials in accustudio folder named bigelow maps, corian_maps, Artek Maps, place respective bitmaps in corresponding folders.

Define path in Revit settings under rendering tab to location of accurender file. (as above mine is C:accustudio) and render away.

Hope this helps.

CheersM

cosmickingpin
2005-04-04, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your help Everyone, it came out nice. as you can see

Hi Cos,

Yes, seems that the accustudio download isnt a .exe any more??!!

OK this is how mine is set up, replicate as described if confident (and at your own risk!).

Could others out there verify methodology please?

Download .mlib file, build 22 (at present).zip
Download full build 22 bitmaps
Download corian, bigelow and artek while there

Make folder anywhere you like named accustudio (mine is C:accustudio)
Place all .mlib files in new accustudio folder. (including extra bigelow, corian etc)
Make new folder in accustudio folder named maps, place all build 22 maps in there
Make additional folders for special materials in accustudio folder named bigelow maps, corian_maps, Artek Maps, place respective bitmaps in corresponding folders.

Define path in Revit settings under rendering tab to location of accurender file. (as above mine is C:accustudio) and render away.

Hope this helps.

CheersM

Roger Evans
2005-04-04, 06:54 PM
Not able to view this at full size ..just as thumbnail only ~ any clues what I have to do?

cosmickingpin
2005-04-04, 07:12 PM
You can just right click on the thumbnail and save it to your local, or here is a smaller one that should view properly it gets kinda rough at smaller res.

Not able to view this at full size ..just as thumbnail only ~ any clues what I have to do?

Roger Evans
2005-04-04, 08:13 PM
Hi
I tried the right click & got the same size thumbnail image ~ so small I can't read the perforations but thanks for the pdf I'll look at that

Edit ~ I think I found the reason .. you saved as Photoshop image & I ain't got that program .. so I just got x marks the spot
Pdf is fine & very readable thanks

Lashers
2005-04-04, 11:01 PM
The latest build should do it, but there are instuctions on the web page...

Cheers Luigi