PDA

View Full Version : floor hatch pattern

iffans
2005-04-01, 06:32 AM
To pattern a floor I go to the material and give the surface pattern. But how if I wanna change the pattern of a small area in it. Ok, I need to use filled region. But how about the furniture? I found it was overrided and I couldn't sent it to front. It's difficult also defining the filled boundary when there are so many furniture in a room. We must strecth a line carefully. What if I change the furniture's location? How tiring it is. Any simple way?That would be great.

beegee
2005-04-01, 06:41 AM
2 ways.

1. ( easy ) Split the face of the floor and paint on the material.

2. ( not hard ) Add a new "finish floor " over the top of the main floor. Can be the thickness of the material being applied ( tiles on mortar bed or whatever )

To pattern a floor I go to the material and give the surface pattern. But how if I wanna change the pattern of a small area in it. Ok, I need to use filled region. But how about the furniture? I found it was overrided and I couldn't sent it to front. It's difficult also defining the filled boundary when there are so many furniture in a room. We must strecth a line carefully. What if I change the furniture's location? How tiring it is. Any simple way?That would be great.

Tobie
2005-04-01, 07:29 AM
i use split face all the time for wall tiles and floor tiles. if you want the face to go back just paint it "by category".
the only problem with split face is that you see the split face in a concrete layout plan and can not turn it off, small price to pay though.
cheers,

iffans
2005-04-01, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys!!
Mmmm...Still about floor/wall pattern. How to define the hatch pattern origin? It looks always not patterned properly. I mean the floor pattern isn't distributed well. I want the excess floor is distributed to each edge of the room. Or can I define the spot where the floor's begun?

roy.70844
2005-04-01, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys!!
Mmmm...Still about floor/wall pattern. How to define the hatch pattern origin? It looks always not patterned properly.

I don't think you can assign a basepoint for Revit hatches (as in Autocad - snapbase), but you can use the align tool to align the pattern to some other edge/wall/line/ref plane etc

Roy.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-04-01, 08:29 AM
As long as the hatch patterns you use are 'model' patterns and not 'drafting' patterns you can tab select line segements and align them, rotate them or dimension to them and the pattern will adjust accordingly.

luigi
2005-04-01, 11:18 AM
And yes, you can even ROTATE the model filled pattern

sbrown
2005-04-01, 02:14 PM
As for the furniture issue you dont' want to do filled regions around each piece of furn. open the families and turn on the 3d geometry, then it will hide the floor pattern. To me it is just as easy to make another floor with a diff finish where you want diff patterns, then use join geometry to make the 2 floors one.

aaronrumple
2005-04-01, 03:01 PM
This is how it is done. Pure FM Technology....

See my other post on ultra lightweight 3D families.

Scott Hopkins
2005-04-01, 05:44 PM
Aaron,

There is one unexpected and very cool thing about your furniture families. As you showed in your post on ultra light weight families, adding an invisible vertical model line to a family will cause a filled region nested in that family to cover up floor patterns. The cool thing about your you chair and table families is that it appears that families with taller invisible model lines will cover up those with shorter invisible model lines. Is that indeed what is actually happening?

aaronrumple
2005-04-01, 05:47 PM
Exactly.
FM Technology.

sbrown
2005-04-01, 07:17 PM
Very nice work, we will have to get to work updating our furniture families, casework families, plumbing. Maybe the revit team could get some more architectural students to do it during the summer, hint, hint.

Michelle Gibson
2005-04-21, 06:13 PM
I am trying to create a floor pattern on top of our existing slab (no VCT included in floor type). I have tried the fill pattern and gone around the perimeter of the room with a detail line, then nothing happens.

I have tried creating a new finish floor by taking the generic floor that is 150mm thick and change the thickness to 3mm for VCT. It says that I have to apply a thickness by category. I then change the core of the new finish floor to be finish tile, still same problem. I revert back to the material that was in the original, still no luck.

All I'd really like to do is be able to draw a box or shape around the room and apply a 305mmx305mm grid, then I would need to use different colours or tones to create the pattern in the main field.

There has got to be a simple way - "paint" didn't seem to do the trick either.

stumped...

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-04-21, 06:20 PM
I ran a search but couldnt find your post, ultra lightweight 3D families, got a link ?
Sounds definitely interesting

Michelle Gibson
2005-04-21, 06:37 PM
I tried this. Not working. I basically want to be able to show a VCT pattern. I am using the floor plan as a backdrop. I need to apply some type of fill or pattern, which could be a different material or pattern in each room. It worked okay (scale is out of wack) but I can only see it in model view.

All I am really looking for is a simple hatch command whereby I can assign a 305mm grid to it. I then need to use various shadees to ID different coloured tiles.

getting a bit frustrated. I have to tackle a gymnasium sports line layout next - I am hoping I can just draw the lines and be done with it. Thinking that since each game line has a different thickness, then I could use a general wall with .5mm overset, set the width to 50mm and the fill pattern to differentiate between each sport then draw the court layout as wee little short walls on my floor pattern drawing, which is my floor plan working as a background.

Going to give it a try.

dalewww
2005-05-20, 02:08 PM
Ok, I have looked at what everyone is doing here and tried to figure it out. I think I am too new to Revit to understand what is going on.

All I want to do is place a hatch down in a bathroom and then place components (2d or 3d it doesn't matter now) and have the hatch hidden. From what I see happening is the out of box components do not have this ability. Yes, I can make the 3d visible in plan but then I get ALL of the lines that create the model. Actually I did this and the hatch still goes through. Not sure why.

I understand the idea of masking the components, and have tried this but it is not working. I tried looking at Arron's idea but I don't get it. I don't see what is going on. However, the way that I understand it is I would have to create a detail component with a white filled region for everything I want to hide the hatch. This means all plumbing, counters, furniture, columns, etc. That is a lot of work that would seem to be figured out already.

Anyway, what am I missing. Actually if I could just get an outline of the plumbing fixtures that I need with a filled region in them to work (I have tried this, doesn't work), then I will be happy.

I also noticed that when I put down a filled region for my floor pattern, it shows through on the door swing. Not good!!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

dalewww
2005-05-20, 09:30 PM
Ok, I tried to take one of the files I found online with a work with it but nothing works. My pattern goes though every one of them.

I have created a detail component that works but I would rather use something that does more than just a 2d symbol.

Not sure what I am going to do with this. Seems so simple. Is simple in other programs. Why not here?

Wish list - put down hatch pattern with one click in area to receive patter and hatch pattern senses interesting lines or objects and does not put hatch within those objects.

luigi
2005-05-23, 08:22 AM
The pattern of the floor is actually part of the model, so you must work with the program. It's the best if the floor pattern is created as a material to the floor, rather than a filled region. The components (not all of them) that you have with Revit (or downloaded), have been done a certain way that maybe doesn't work the way you want. So if turning on the 3d in plan doesn't work for you on some objects, Aaron's method of including a filled region should suffice.

But your wish of the single click of the hatch is a good one. Check to see if there is one already in the wishlist and if not include it there....you should get a good response....

sbrown
2005-05-23, 02:09 PM
Filled regions will hide whatever they are placed on, so these don't work well for what you want to do, unless you plan on tracing over every piece of furniture. YOu need to make floors/floor types, with the the surface materials you want(ie your tile patterns). Then create your floors(basically the same process as creating a filled region however you use the floor tool). Make sure you use model hatch patterns so they are the correct size regardless of scale. Now for the furniture you need to open the families and turn on just the pieces that would hide the floor pat, so you don't turn on the legs of tables and chairs, just the tops. Or you can create detail components with filled regions and load them into your furniture families.

dalewww
2005-05-23, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Scott. I looked at it over the weekend and it seems that you are right.

Thanks for the information.