PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Finish Millwork - Crowns, Chair rails, etc. - Best Practices

cescobar708581
2018-01-03, 04:36 PM
Our interiors department has been trying to find the best method to creating this content without having to resort to model in place components due to the slow down we have had going down that route. Ideally we would be able to use something akin to the railing family in which we could interchange the profiles as needed. However, the railing family doesn't work because it doesn't show up in RCPs.

We've also experimented with using the fascia and floor edge mode line trick. But find it too cumbersome and worry about accidentally deleting a line.

We can't do wall sweeps because the interiors model is linked to the central model and there are times where an item would not be tied to a wall.

We've thought about using a line based family and creating corner parts. But that would take much longer than a model in place.

How have other's been tackling this? Last topic i read about this was a few years ago and we were wondering if anyone has made progress since.

marmiketin
2018-01-04, 01:13 PM
I would personally use line based family and then for corner pieces i would nest in an inside and outside corner family at both ends and then use visibility parameter to turn them off or on when needed. You could also use adaptive component family with multiple adaptive points but you probably wouldn't want hundreds of them in a family as they are intensive.

You could also have base, chair rail and crown all in the same family so as to reduce number of clicks in model to make the element. Again you could use visibility parameters to turn off each individual element.