PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Revit 2019?

CrawfordSmith99
2018-01-15, 10:34 PM
Has anyone heard anything about a release date for Revit 2019? Is there even going to BE a Revit 2019? I've been hearing for several years that Autodesk might go away from the annual release cycle. Now that they've rammed the subscription licensing model down everybody's throats, I thought it might be time.

Similarly, are there amy plans for a Revit 2018.3 upgrade. We usually don't install new versions until autumn.

Thanks.

-Crawford

Scott D Davis
2018-01-16, 06:35 AM
Yes, there will be a Revit 2019, and a Revit 2018.3, coming soon. The release dates are not made public. The best indicator of an approximate date is to look at the history of previous releases of Revit.

david_peterson
2018-01-16, 07:45 PM
Basically what Scott is saying is 2019 should be out mid April. Just like the last several releases of Autodesk products.

CrawfordSmith99
2018-01-17, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info, Scott.

I'm curious as to why this information is not made public. It would be quite useful for IT workload planning.

-Crawford

Steve_Stafford
2018-01-17, 06:51 PM
The ages old reason they provide is that they are a publicly traded company and have to be careful about forward looking statements (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-looking_statement) that can impact the stock and investment risk (also Sarbanes-Oxley Act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes%E2%80%93Oxley_Act)). They take it seriously enough to behave this way consistently for as long as they've been around.

For what it's worth, they've released a new version of Revit in April/May every year, for many years now.

a_meteni
2018-01-17, 07:36 PM
For what it's worth, they've released a new version of Revit in April/May every year, for many years now.

But had they announced any specific product release date ,in advance, before?

Steve_Stafford
2018-01-17, 07:52 PM
But had they announced any specific product release date ,in advance, before?No, not until 30 days prior to their intended internal release date target. When you see Autodesk publishing things about a new release you'll know that it will occur within 30 days.

DaveP
2018-01-19, 02:02 PM
It's probably a myth, but legend has it that way back in the mid-90s, then CEO Carol Bartz off-handedly mentioned a release date for AutoCAD 13.
The developers panicked because they knew it wasn't ready yet. But since a public statement had been made, they were forced to release a buggy version.
And those of us who've been around for awhile (right, Steve?) know the reputation R13 had.
Supposedly, ever since, Autodesk has refused to pre-announce any ship dates.
Like I said, probably a legend, but it's a good story.
The other theory is simply because it was #13.

wrmarshall
2018-03-06, 11:39 AM
found this link on the Autodesk website. Doesn't give the specifics, but a good indication on the direction they taking revit

http://blogs.autodesk.com/revit/category/roadmap/

a_meteni
2018-03-06, 07:13 PM
Just wondering, it’s been almost 50 days since the above announcement that Revit 2018.3 update is coming soon and yet nothing showed up.

Brian Myers
2018-03-09, 07:57 PM
The first Autodesk software typically comes out mid-March. the third week of March is usually a good guess. Then the release of software goes into April, usually the second or third week, mostly due to the "packages/bundles" of software that get released. There are a few products that does not apply toward, but Revit and AutoCAD do not fall into that category. That's been happening for about 2 decades now, so everyone just assumes that since their college age children were not born yet the last time this release cycle did not happen, that it's just going to happen as it always has. It will this year as well.

As far as .3.... it will either get released soon or just incorporated into 2019. Most likely, it will be soon and likely it's just a stability release.

trombe763283
2018-03-14, 11:01 PM
http://www.merclearning.com/titles/Revit_2019_Architecture.html

barely amusing

Adrian Esdaile
2018-04-10, 02:21 AM
...And those of us who've been around for awhile (right, Steve?) know the reputation R13 had.
Supposedly, ever since, Autodesk has refused to pre-announce any ship dates.
Like I said, probably a legend, but it's a good story.
The other theory is simply because it was #13.

Arrgh, you've given me a flash-back to the War years (the Great Late 90's CAD War).

I remember R13. As a fresh-out-of-uni grad I had to install R13. On DEC Alphas (great machines) running the then-very-new Windows NT. I took a digitiser tablet to the knee when we tried to get it to integrate nicely with our older SUNSparc Eagle Modeller platform. That knee still gives me trouble when I use the XREF command.

I'm not superstitious, 13 is just the number after 12; but that story rings true. R13 was a monumental train-wreck of a release.

a_meteni
2018-04-10, 08:29 AM
Revit 2018.3 (https://up.autodesk.com/2018/RVT/Autodesk_Revit_2018_3_Readme.htm) update is finally released :)

And Revit 2019 (http://blogs.autodesk.com/revit/2018/04/11/whats-new-in-revit-2019/) as well

Brian Myers
2018-04-25, 07:15 PM
I'm not superstitious, 13 is just the number after 12; but that story rings true. R13 was a monumental train-wreck of a release.

I first used AutoCAD on release 9 and used it professionally first on release 10. Release 9 was OK but weak.... 10 was better. 11 was weak (generally considered a bad release) but 12 was good. 13 was a bad release but 14 was good. Release 15 would have been next, but they renamed it to be 2000. Sure, it was to capitalize on the year 2000, but a part of me always looked at 9, 11, and 13 (odd numbers) and thought psychologically they did 2000 because it was an even number to break the every other (odd number) release streak.

DaveP
2018-04-25, 08:24 PM
The theory with the even/odd AutoCAD releases is that they followed the Star Trek movie pattern.
The even numbered ones were the good ones. The odd ones sucked. :lol:

CAtDiva
2018-04-26, 03:48 PM
The theory with the even/odd AutoCAD releases is that they followed the Star Trek movie pattern.
The even numbered ones were the good ones. The odd ones sucked. :lol:

Hmm ... interesting analysis. I can't disagree. :lol: