PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Adding an opening to an existing wall that has demo parts

bgrinnell
2018-01-23, 10:04 PM
I have an existing wall that I want to add a new opening to, but can't get it to work, Revit just gives me the international symbol for no. I think the issues stem from the fact that I am using wall parts for the first time and I'm not sure what I'm doing. Parts solved one of the earlier issues that I had as I needed to demo the finishes of the existing wall and with parts, it seemed so simple, but I have a feeling I'm going to regret that decision. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something easy and one of you might be able to fill me in what I'm missing. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Merlin
2018-01-24, 05:06 AM
Just to be clear... it's and existing wall, and you have added a new plasterboard layer (being a thin Revit wall) and you want to make an opening through both?
There could be a couple of ways around this BUT I would suggest the old mantra "Model it as you would build it".
So "demolish" an opening in the existing wall. Then modify your plasterboard wall with an opening to match the demolition. (As I said - that'd be the first way I'd go about it)
Hope this helps

david_peterson
2018-01-24, 04:33 PM
If you add the new layer gyp (Wall) to the Existing Wall and put an opening family thru both (not using the demo tool to demo the portion of existing wall where the hole is) and join the 2 walls together, the opening family should pass thru both.

bgrinnell
2018-01-26, 01:11 AM
Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to do, by going back to the existing plan and I was able to insert the opening and them change the phase of the opening to new. I'm not sure I understand why this works but I'm glad that it did. Thank you for the help!

Brian