PDA

View Full Version : bay popout roof

rick.74802
2005-04-03, 03:54 PM
Can someone help me clean up this roof so I can see how to do it. I want my hips on the upper bay to hit the same point on the ridge and on the lower bay I want them to hit the wall at the same height.

Thanks,
Rick

Nevine
2005-04-03, 05:19 PM
You can do it by trial and error changing the pitch of the roof on the angled walls until they meet the ridge or do some geometry and calculate the pitch or take a section right at the ridge point and measure the roof angle.
I don't know if there is a better way but that's how I did mine. It is a bit of a pain but feasible.

Roger Evans
2005-04-03, 07:00 PM
I think the best / most practical on site, way would be to make wall faces equal if you can do it ~ otherwise you will always have problems with either junctions or pitch difference

SkiSouth
2005-04-04, 03:35 AM
Your bays are not symmetrical about the center axis of the bay, nor are the eave heights aligned. You must be careful on your creation of walls, roofs etc, even as you would expect the craftsmen to be when they actually build the roofs. The upper roof has issues as far as really creating the roof as you have it drawn, with two different eave heights hitting each other along the ridge of a hipped roof.
This area I think you need to consider carefully. If you can't figure our what I've done, I'll email you your file, but I don't want to repost a 3 meg file ...

rookwood
2005-04-04, 05:16 AM
Since all BAYS are not created equal (equal wall lengths), I have found reasonable success by creating individual roof surfaces for each wall section.

Begin with the roof over the front bay wall which runs parallel with the wall surface of the main building and, preferably, at the same pitch as the main roof. This now becomes the focus point in which you create and align the adjoining roofs on each side. The last two segments are the ones which attach to the main roof.

BTW: Nevine, my teacher, are you back with us? If so, are you still interested in creating a Revit User Group in Cincinnati? Or perhaps Southwest Ohio to include Dayton and ???

Larry @ Bunnell Hill.

SkiSouth
2005-04-04, 11:54 AM
Since all BAYS are not created equal (equal wall lengths),

Larry @ Bunnell Hill.

This is true. However, in this case, each segment was off by an Inch or less in different locations. It APPEARED the intent was to have the walls equal. This is an assumption on my part. However, based on my experience, when the work is that close to being even, the design should be changed to be even. If the walls are unequal, the craftsmen will need much more information than an evenly based bay roof, IF they would comply with not simply correcting it to be equal in the field. The post also references "cleaning up the roof" - I was simply trying to answer the original post. No dissing intended.

rookwood
2005-04-04, 12:17 PM
Skisouth, I agree. If it's that close then both common sense and the carpenters would require that the design be compromised.

I was just addressing the cases where, by design, the two angled walls are even in length and the wall running parallel with the main building wall being longer (or shorter?).

Good catch, though, regarding the symmetry!

rick.74802
2005-04-04, 05:24 PM
Thanks you for the input. Skisouth, if you be so kind as to email me the corrected file so I can see what you did that would be great (rick@brookesdesign.com). As for my drawing being off forgive me. I'm trying to learn Revit and I still do 100% of my work in autocad. I try to build a model of a simple house (like this one) in Revit when I can for my clients and also so I can spend more time playing with Revit. I am much faster laying out floor plans in Autocad and then I trace them in Revit to create the model. My tracing was a little off in places I guess. Someday I would love to switch over to Revit to do all of my working drawings.

One last question. It appears on the main upper roof it dropped my trusses into the top plate almost a 1/2" I had to creat two roofs up front to make a double gable (that is the only way I have figured out how to do that) The smaller roof intersects the top plate correctly so it is a 1/2" higher the the roof it should plane into.

Thank you for everyones help!

SkiSouth
2005-04-04, 05:31 PM
No problem on modeling. I understand completely, just observing. I'll email the file. The roof thickness appear to be different. If you note the bottom of the roof edges align in all conditions, but the top is offset. Check and be sure your roof construction is identical.

Also, if all of your plans are AutoCAD. Do a search for Aaron's how-to on using the dwg import to build your walls instantly from AutoCAD.

rick.74802
2005-04-04, 06:00 PM
The roofs are using the same structure. I cut a section in another area of the same roof and it intersects the plate correctly. The main roof is made up of 6/12 and 9/12 pitches. The plate intersection is correct at the 6/12 pitches but it drops a 1/2" at the 9/12 pitched areas and my eaves are aligned.

SkiSouth
2005-04-04, 06:28 PM
I had to creat two roofs up front to make a double gable (that is the only way I have figured out how to do that) .

Thank you for everyones help!

Look at the following AVI for how to do a double gable. Take your eave line and split it (using the split tool). Leave a small straight section between gables (think in the field, while the gables MIGHT actually meet, the sheathing actually works better if there is a small straight section between.) So something in the order of 1/2 to 1". If the roof doesn't form, your section is too small. This AVI uses a 1" space. Define your slopes with the slope arrow - and yes, the slopes can be uneven. Finish your roof and you have a double gable.

This is a Zipped file as AVI is not a supported extension on the forum. Unzip the file and run the AVI. See if this helps explain the double gable. If so, perhaps you can delete the two roofs you have and use one roof, and that will hopefully solve your uneven roof condition.