PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Adding paint to linked walls

harkeychad
2018-03-29, 07:02 PM
We are a interior design firm and would like to know the best way to go about painting certain walls of the linked model? This is for Rendering and using Lumion. I really to not want to add thin walls to make this happen. Thanks.

david_peterson
2018-03-30, 06:04 PM
I don't believe you can paint linked models.

harkeychad
2018-03-30, 06:13 PM
Could Dynamo work for this? Maybe there is a way in Lumion to change things. I sure dont want to add hundreds of small walls in my model just for the rendering and walkthroughs.

david_peterson
2018-03-30, 06:31 PM
In theory you could. But you it would have to be done in their model, or a copy of their model.
Extract all of the wall faces, find the coordinates of the faces, Filter the faces by coordinates into lists that you want to paint and apply the paint.
But you'll need to do this every time you get a model update. At that point, just open their model, paint it and save it.
Or if they were to add something to a parameter so you could use that to filter, that could work.

You could think about export an fbx file to 3ds max and going that route.

harkeychad
2018-04-02, 11:28 AM
I can change the walls in max and then send to lumion? This would mean I would send everything to max or just the walls? Thanks. Think this is a big draw back now. Guessing more control over the links will not happen anytime soon.

david_peterson
2018-04-02, 12:23 PM
Materials live in the models that their host objects live in.
So unless Autodesk changes something I don't you'll have that ability.
If you were to export the model to Max as an FBX file you can apply any material you want. You could even send it to Max Live and apply/change the rendered material there.
But as for Lumion you stuck with the limits of the Revit Platform. Or you can change the materials in Lumion, but I believe that would change that material everywhere. I've used Lumion, but not a enough to be an expert on it. Did you try posting the the Lumion Forum boards on Lumions site?

harkeychad
2018-04-02, 12:56 PM
Posted there sounds like a good idea. I will do that today. Thanks.

angelrod3d
2018-04-21, 05:19 PM
Posted there sounds like a good idea. I will do that today. Thanks.

You can use parts to modify walls from a linked project.
Just select the wall, click on parts, and them modify the material of the layer you need. Hey presto!

david_peterson
2018-04-23, 01:10 PM
You can use parts to modify walls from a linked project.
Just select the wall, click on parts, and them modify the material of the layer you need. Hey presto!

What happens when they get a new model? Will it remember that wall was split into parts, what those parts were and what material you've applied to them?