PDA

View Full Version : migrate from AutoCAD

iffans
2005-04-04, 03:53 AM
If I plan to migrate from AutoCAD to Revit, what setting should I do? Layers of course. ctb for pen assignment, I have to re-create it since the different format, right? Lineweight and hatch pattern, tittleblocks, etc. The main problem I'm facing now is about the drafting tools. In case I just wanna use Revit for drafting only, so many difficulties found. Like hatching. I have to use filled region. It's difficult to make the complex boundary.
Since my client mostly still use dwg format, I have to export it back to dwg. Is there any simple/easy way to do that?
Finally I want a statement, is it possible to fully migrate from AutoCAD to Revit? Please, I need a guidance. Thanks.

SkiSouth
2005-04-04, 12:11 PM
Yes you can fully migrate from AutoCAD to Revit. (and survive easily).

You need to switch to Revit Series. You'll get a current Acad and Revit license. You are where most of us were not too long ago. I switched about 2 years ago. There are no "layers" as such in Revit. There are object styles, which are similar in that you can modify the line weights in the object style. Using Revit for drafting only is a mistake, I feel. Autocad is a Drafting program. Revit is more an architectural tool, with a drafting attachment. As such AutoCAD (being a more mature software) has many drafting features we are all very comfortable with using. Revit has similar tools, just different. You will not make a mistake in switching to Revit.

Do not be mislead though. ANYTIME you change software - WordPerfect to Word, Dbase to Access, Novell to Server, ADT 3.3 to ADT anything else, ADT 4 to ADT 5, AutoCAD to Revit, there WILL be learning curve, and you WILL be frustrated. (but not moreso than any ADT change) AUGI has helped me tremendously (and does so daily). I would encourage you to switch, but stay very active here at AUGI.

Also be sure to work all the Revit tutorials, and read through the tutorials here at AUGI.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Scott D Davis
2005-04-04, 04:24 PM
If I plan to migrate from AutoCAD to Revit, what setting should I do? Layers of course. ctb for pen assignment, I have to re-create it since the different format, right?
There are no layers in Revit, and no CTB files, no pen assignments, no sheet sets, no display reps, no object enablers.....no AutoCAD! There really are no parts of AutoCAD that need to be translated to Revit. If you plan to export from Revit to a DWG file, you will need to set up the layer export file, which tells Revit what layers to put the exported objects on to.

Lineweight and hatch pattern, tittleblocks, etc...... I have to use filled region. It's difficult to make the complex boundary.
You can use AutoCAD hatch patterns in Revit. Break up the ACAD.PAT file into individual PAT files for each hatch type. Complex boundaries aren't tough in Revit. Use the Pick tool, hover over the boundary and hit TAB until the area highlights, then click.

Since my client mostly still use dwg format, I have to export it back to dwg. Is there any simple/easy way to do that?
Simple, once you have your Export file set up....File>Export>DWG.....done! :D

FK
2005-04-04, 06:22 PM
You can use AutoCAD hatch patterns in Revit. Break up the ACAD.PAT file into individual PAT files for each hatch type.
Why? I thought you can pull in the entire file, then select only the patterns you need...

Scott D Davis
2005-04-04, 06:26 PM
Really? I thought they needed to be separate. Good to know!

I guess the best way might be to cut-n-paste your autoCAD patterns into the Revit.PAT file.

Thanks for clarifying!

SkiSouth
2005-04-04, 06:43 PM
You can use the entire acad.pat file, just have to use the "model or drafting" comment still at each definition. I simply renamed my acad.pat acad-revit.pat with the appropriate comments.

J. Grouchy
2005-04-04, 06:50 PM
Problem with the ACAD patterns is that sometimes the scaling is off and once you make it, you can't go back and edit the pattern scale...you just have to re-import it...bugs me....

Rhythmick
2005-04-04, 07:50 PM
I guess the best way might be to cut-n-paste your autoCAD patterns into the Revit.PAT file.

There is some verbage in the revit.pat file that suggests creating a separate file for changes because the revit.pat gets overwritten when updating.

Scott D Davis
2005-04-04, 08:27 PM
oh yeah...that could be bad....I like the suggestion of calling your file "Revit-ACAD.PAT" and just adding the "model" designation, and then leave the Revit.PAT alone (or keep a backup copy!).

iffans
2005-04-05, 01:31 AM
Thanks alot guys!!
But what about the 3D model exported from Revit? In dwg format I found it became polyface, not solid anymore. Whether I open in AutoCAD or 3DMax. So it's difficult to re-apply material on it. Or any mistake I've made in the export process?

iffans
2005-04-05, 01:41 AM
Complex boundaries aren't tough in Revit. Use the Pick tool, hover over the boundary and hit TAB until the area highlights, then click.

Scott, why does the furniture is overrided by the filled pattern? I couldn't bring it to front.

Andre Baros
2005-04-05, 01:43 AM
I was also accustomed to using solids when working with the Autocad/Max combo, but have been very happy with polyfaces... they render very well and have a lower memory footprint. Also if you've assigned materials in Revit than each face has a different material ID in Max. You can assign a single multi-sub object material in Max and then just break it up by material ID, it doesn't really matter what the materials in Revit are because you'll almost always want to re-assign the materials in Max.

SkiSouth
2005-04-05, 01:45 AM
If you are a max/Viz user then you'll be interested in the special link file to Viz 2005, and the lack of a need for a link file in Viz 2006, and the latest max update. (Allows for easier material assignment).

FK
2005-04-05, 03:43 AM
I think you are trying to confuse yourself. ;-) Revit stores patterns inside the project file, so if you want a particular set at your fingertips, import them into your template. The rest could be anywhere as long as you can navigate to it.

Scott D Davis
2005-04-05, 05:19 AM
<thinking swiftly> ummm....yeah, ummm I knew that.....I was just testing to see if you Factory workers were reading this! :mrgreen:

See? Even a Revit user since 1.0 can learn a few things around here! :Oops:

roy.70844
2005-04-05, 09:28 AM
Scott, why does the furniture is overrided by the filled pattern? I couldn't bring it to front.

I think that annotations are always 'in front' of the model. I guess you are using filled regions to represent floor finishes, you may be better off using a floor, split face and the paintpot tool.

Roy

iffans
2005-04-06, 01:59 AM
Roy,
Yes, I use filled region. Why? because I receive 2D drawing in dwg format. If I'm still use Revit, I have no choice except use filled region right? Okay, maybe I have to switch to AutoCAD, again, to draft the drawing.

Bob Eardley
2005-12-06, 10:16 PM
I don't know if you've noticed, but in Revit 8.1 this issue has been fixed. You can now modify the scale at any time without having to re-import

rod.74246
2005-12-07, 07:52 AM
Ooh i didn;t know that had changed. There seems to be a lot in 8.1 that doesn't really show up on the release notes. Thats a small one but a good one.

janunson
2005-12-08, 02:17 PM
That is a problem with the furniture family. In some, the 3D solids are visible in plan view and therefore block the hatch, in others, they include solid, filled region detail components that will block the hatch, others, the 3D solid is off in plan view and there are just symbol lines to mark furniture location... those lines don't block out the hatch. In some offices, this is desired behavior.

Wes Macaulay
2005-12-08, 06:57 PM
I don't know if you've noticed, but in Revit 8.1 this issue has been fixed. You can now modify the scale at any time without having to re-importHmm? I can't... how are you doing this?

rod.74246
2005-12-12, 07:53 AM
Yeah i can't seem to do this either. How are you managing it?