PDA

View Full Version : 3D sweep paths?

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-04-04, 04:25 AM
Is is possible to construct 3D sweep paths?

I'm doing some electrical busbar drawings and want to sweep them in 3D.

beegee
2005-04-04, 05:04 AM
Yes,

Use the pick path option to place the path on a 3D plane, such as a wall top, 3D line on an RP, etc, but remember, sweeps cannot have a path with ellipse or spline segments and a profile with non-straight lines.

BillyGrey
2005-04-21, 10:56 PM
but remember, sweeps cannot have a path with ellipse or spline segments and a profile with non-straight lines. [/size][/font]

Hey beegee, can I sweep a segment of a curve, a true radius?
I'm having a heck of a time running a simple 45d void reveal sweep around an
arched system family wall. The arch, btw, is carved out of a profile edited vert.
studwall.

Thanks

beegee
2005-04-21, 11:06 PM
Should be able to.

But what I'm picturing and what you're trying to do, could be two different things.

Can you post an image or part of the file ?

BillyGrey
2005-04-21, 11:42 PM
OK, I'll do both...

The pictures illustrate what I'm trying to pull off.
They are of a void blend I tried.
The yellow in the elevation is the actual blend during edit.
I've also tried a swept void on the whole assembly,
and on just the arch. I know my modeling is ok,
But I think my syntax is off.

I just want to reveal a shell form around my arch. Ironically, I have done this same thing
using massing objects, then converting to a wall...but that went nice because there was only one wall, one blend and not a series of connected sizes/types.

Big thanks beegee :)

EDITED I realize now I must use cut geometry.

BillyGrey
2005-04-21, 11:47 PM
Whoops,

That file was created in a version that does not yet officially exist...
sigh...will tomarrow nevercome?
I'll remove it, and pm me if you need it.

Sorry

beegee
2005-04-22, 02:21 AM
Hi Billy,

Yeah that sort of reveal should be a lot easier to do than it is.

Problem is that you can't sweep a void around an edited wall profile ( at least I haven't been to ! )

If you make the wall / arch out of separate pieces, sweep each piece, the junction of the sweep - he don' work.

So, my workaround is :-

Make the wall for the arch as one continuous solid piece.
Sweep the 45°reveal.
Now create another void to cut out the arched piece. Note that Revit does not allow you to split out the wall or to cut openings if these opening touch the in-place void family. So you need to leave a small gap between the existing reveal sweep and the new arch void. You may be able to see that "ledge" in the attached sketch - it should be smaller than I drew it.

BillyGrey
2005-04-22, 03:13 AM
Thank You Beegee...

Yes, I struggled with the "in the field" type of boxed stud wall build out and experimented
with various sweeps and blends, but could not get it as nice as yours.
Your little notch did the trick.

Regards Amigo,

BillyG

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-22, 03:43 AM
These sort of arches are much easier as an external family you place in a wall. Build all the voids and such there, (wall hosted generic model for example) then pop it in a wall in the project. Make it flexible enough and one can fit many uses...or just make what you need, make more if you need em...

Joef
2005-04-22, 04:53 AM
Nice work guys! These are the kind of solutions that make reading this forum an essential part of my day. I may not need this solution today, but when I do, I'll have a head start on getting it right. Thanks !

Joe

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-23, 12:15 AM
This is what I was talking about for arches and using families. This consists of families for: Arch, Plinth, corner chamfer, and cap. Comprised of 4 walls and the families...

Joef
2005-04-23, 12:26 AM
Very impressive Steve. Is the recessed area around the arch part of the same void family as the arch itself?

Joe

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-23, 01:53 AM
...Is the recessed area around the arch part of the same void family as the arch itself?...Yes the saw tooth is nested in the arch family. The depressions are part of the arch, as well as the "rolls" up to the peak. The plinth is a swept profile and the butter cut is a swept void set at an angle to the wall. The cap is a swept solid with voids cutting away all the detail. The base of the cap sits at 8 meters.

Can't take credit for the design, one of our designers in London, Arun Muralidar, designed it with Arabic architecture in mind. I just made it threeDee :)