PDA

View Full Version : Another residential roof

janunson
2005-04-04, 07:21 PM
Hey guys i know i saw a similar question, i think, to this a few days ago and aaron ripped right through it in a few minutes... but i'm having a little trouble with the procedure.

Attached is a simple sample file of a roof problem i'm trying to solve, i have 3 hip roofs at different plate heights, and need to add crickets between. I was able to do a roof by extrusion and get close, but i have 2 problems -

1. i can't get the cricket to attach to both roofs, only 1, the other roof it is embedded in, but not connected to

2. similar problem - how do i get rid of the roofs that extend beyond each other in section? Do i have to add trusses and work out sheathing from them, or can i just join these together somehow? I have a section cut diagonally through the sample, and the roof surfaces extend down to their facia lines, even if it's inside another roof.

Thanks for the advice.

bowlingbrad
2005-04-04, 07:36 PM
Draw a triangular roof by footprint. The long leg of the triangle should be the 'ridge' of the cricket. Put a negative slope at the ridge (equal and opposite from your roof). Go to the section, move the cricket up to the intersection, mirror along ridge and then join geometry. I think that works.

--Aaron, how'd I do? ;-)

janunson
2005-04-05, 02:08 PM
Thanks! Do i have to do the same w/ the main roofs (manually draw their edges) to get them to not extend into each other in section?