PDA

View Full Version : Project organization

neb1998
2005-04-05, 05:27 AM
I have a few questions on how others are organizing projects...i work in a small office of 2 architects on relatively large projects...a lot of our projects have wall sections that are generally the same from project to project....is their a clear way to save wall sections from other projects so they dont have to be drawn again? In autocad we would just copy them from another project and specify different finished interior and exterior or different heights....in revit i havent thought of a great way to implement the same strategy.

I had thought of creating a template file that housed just a basic wall for that type of section and importing the wall and the section into maybe a drafting view and using it as a general detail. I havent tried that so i dont know if it would work or not....

Thanks!

EDIT > Second question split to Family Forum (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=17230).

beegee
2005-04-05, 06:10 AM
Make a group of your wall section detail. Save out the group to a permanent detail file. For a new project, load back into a detail view.

jcoe
2005-04-05, 06:18 AM
neb,

You are on the right track as far as your approach to placing the wall section into a drafing view. The only issue I have had with this is that the AutoCad text and leaders do not come in as nice as I would like and I find myself relabeling the details/sections.

Another approach to this might be to create a detail component family and import the wall section/detail into the family. At this point you could do one of two things: 1)leave the info as is or 2)convert the information to Revit lines. Once you are finished you can save the family and load it into various projects into detail views - similar to how you might use a "block" in AutoCad.

neb1998
2005-04-05, 06:20 AM
not sure i understand that....how do i make a group of the detail?

Arnel Aguel
2005-04-05, 10:53 AM
not sure i understand that....how do i make a group of the detail?

Select all elements and annotations of the detail then press the toolbar group on the upper right side of the screen rename group as necessary then from the file menu save to library/save group to any location you want. Open new project create new drafting view load from library/load group then from the project browser drag the detail to your new drafting view and you are done.