PDA

View Full Version : Why, Why ohhh Why can I not properly paint a split face...

luigi
2005-04-06, 03:32 PM
Anyone has a reason, if not a workaround, to when you seemingly split a face properly and you paint 2 of the 3 portions of the wall (which is divided by a door) it will paint the first face correctly, and the 2nd it won't, it will paint the whole wall???

One Face of a wall, door is in the middle, I am splitting the wall's base to get the base to be so far off grade, and I paint to the left of the door, it works, I paint the right side, the whole wall gets painted (or vice versa) I even tried splitting the wall in the middle of the door with not success...

Anyone?

sbrown
2005-04-06, 03:34 PM
I too get this behavior, it must be a bug. Same exact issue, split the face of a wall with an opening, first paint fine, second paints the whole wall. I have started just using more wall types and spliting the finish layer in the wall construction. I find it more stable.

luigi
2005-04-06, 03:44 PM
Ok, the negative upfront is that it will disassociate the material from the wall type...but nonetheless a workaround...

Basically paint bucket each and ever side to be exactly the material it needs to be, and make sure to choose the faces that give you problems first, and then the rest of the wall.

(I have a sloped grade and I want the base to follow the slope evenly)

tamas
2005-04-06, 06:16 PM
Anyone has a reason, if not a workaround, to when you seemingly split a face properly and you paint 2 of the 3 portions of the wall (which is divided by a door) it will paint the first face correctly, and the 2nd it won't, it will paint the whole wall???

One Face of a wall, door is in the middle, I am splitting the wall's base to get the base to be so far off grade, and I paint to the left of the door, it works, I paint the right side, the whole wall gets painted (or vice versa) I even tried splitting the wall in the middle of the door with not success...

Anyone?
Could you post an example? I tried and could not reproduce this behavior.

sbrown
2005-04-06, 07:05 PM
I believe I filled a bug awhile back, I will dig up the project and send it in.

sbrown
2005-04-06, 07:35 PM
I'm uploading an example to the subscription center now, it will probably take 20 min or so.

bowlingbrad
2005-04-06, 08:35 PM
Oh, I hope this little bugaboo is fixed in R8.

tamas
2005-04-06, 08:41 PM
Have you tried using tab to get the proper face to paint?

For some reason (you may call it a feature) we allow painting the original face after you split it. If the split portion is painted to "By Category" it inherits the material from the original face.

I am not saying what you see is not a bug, just try to point out that you might be able to paint your faces as desired if you pick them carefully.

luigi
2005-04-07, 04:03 PM
It's definetely a bug!!!

When I do my work around listed earlier and I try to paint the wall "By Category" it won't (edited what was int he parenthesis-it wasn't true). and the way the graphics work, the whole wall will highlight and the selected face will be highlighted boldly, so it is selecting the correct face.

tamas
2005-04-09, 05:39 AM
We identified one bug for painting a split region of a vertically compound wall. (Thanks Scott.) Simple walls seem to work fine.

When the region is split, painting one will spill over the others. However this is true only for exactly one sub region. The rest behaves properly. So as an ugly work around, if you can achive that this special region is in an unimportant area, you can just leave it unpainted and the rest works better.

Sorry for your troubles.

bowlingbrad
2005-04-09, 02:29 PM
Simple walls seem to work fine.

If I put two split regions next to each other, or if I put a split region next to a window or door opening, the paint bucket tool does crazy things! Please fix this.... :banghead:

THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=15759)