PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Station points in Revit

Bill Gilliss
2019-02-08, 03:54 PM
As part of the site work on an architectural project modeled in Revit 2019, I would like to place station points 10' apart along the compound centerline of a multi-part ramp with some straight sections and some arc sections. With AutoCAD it would just be PLINE / JOIN / MEASURE. With Revit???

Is there a better solution than exporting to AutoCAD, measuring as above (using a block, not a point), then bringing the result back into Revit?

Steve_Stafford
2019-02-08, 06:20 PM
Well Autodesk would like you to consider Autodesk Point Layout (https://www.autodesk.com/products/point-layout/overview) (formerly Get The Point a third party tool they purchased). I think I've seen a couple people talking about doing it with Dynamo but I don't think they posted the graphs they used.

Bill Gilliss
2019-02-09, 08:19 PM
Interesting tool, but way overkill for simply placing a dozen 2D points along a 2D line. I thought of using a railing with balusters 10' apart to mark the station points, but the 10' starts all over again at the end of each centerline segment and I don't see a way to override that.

dkoch
2019-02-10, 02:27 AM
Not sure if this will work for your exact situation, but if you can get your centerline segment geometry into Dynamo, you can combine the curves in Dynamo into a polycurve, and then generate points at a given spacing along that polycurve. Those points could then be used to place objects in the Revit model.

The attached ZIP file includes a "test" Revit file, in which a chain of three model lines (one an arc) has been drawn. It also contains a DYN file, created in Dynamo 2.0.2, which will allow for the selection of those three elements. A polycurve is then created from those elements and, starting with the start point of the polycurve, points are generated every 10 feet along the polycurve.

After running the Dynamo graph, those points are shown in Revit:

Here is a screen capture of the graph:

Both images are also in the ZIP file.

Steve_Stafford
2019-02-11, 05:49 PM
I didn't realize you were just after a 2D "divide" result. When I read station points I was thinking digital data to construction, not "drawing".

Without programming, place a "point" family (make one, symbol) and then use Array with Last specifying how many you want. That will give you equally spaced points over the picked distance. Another way is to place a dimension string across the points, set the overall distance correctly, pin the first and last, use the EQ constraint.

Bill Gilliss
2019-02-12, 10:39 PM
Revit arrays don't work to create points along what in AutoCAD terms I'd call a multi-segment polyline: some parts straight lines, some parts arcs, maybe some elliptical segments. Exporting to AutoCAD and using MEASURE takes less time than to type this reply, and looks like it will have to do.