PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Paste: "Aligned to Selected Levels" vs. "Aligned to Current View"

anthro2019
2019-02-19, 03:23 AM
I don't understand the difference between Paste > "Aligned to Selected Levels" vs. Paste > "Aligned to Current View."

When I use both commands, they do the same thing.

Does anyone know the difference?

Thank you for your help!

tedg
2019-02-19, 01:19 PM
I don't understand the difference between Paste > "Aligned to Selected Levels" vs. Paste > "Aligned to Current View."

When I use both commands, they do the same thing.

Does anyone know the difference?

Thank you for your help!

I don't know for sure but I think you can select many views and paste into all of them (vs. just the current view you're in)

Steve_Stafford
2019-02-20, 12:41 AM
End result may be the same, at times, but each depends on context, what kind of view are you working in and what is part of the selection set. Paste Aligned to Selected Levels provides a dialog to choose levels in the project. It also applies to model elements, annotation is not placed on levels, those go in views. Paste Aligned to Current View assumes a single location, the view that is active, and the clipboard can contain elements that are either model or annotation elements.

For example: You can select all the walls on Level 1 and use Paste Aligned to Selected Levels and put them on five other levels regardless of how many plan or ceiling plan views you might or might not have in the model yet. In contrast, while looking at a floor plan of Level 1, I can select all the walls and wall tags on that level...move to a floor plan view for Level 2 and use Paste Aligned Current View and I'll get all the walls and wall tags.

When your selection set includes annotation you'll find some of the choices are disabled in the list for Paste Aligned.

anthro2019
2019-02-20, 04:55 PM
Thank you for the feedback, Ted! Appreciate it!

- - - Updated - - -

End result may be the same, at times, but each depends on context, what kind of view are you working in and what is part of the selection set. Paste Aligned to Selected Levels provides a dialog to choose levels in the project. It also applies to model elements, annotation is not placed on levels, those go in views. Paste Aligned to Current View assumes a single location, the view that is active, and the clipboard can contain elements that are either model or annotation elements.

For example: You can select all the walls on Level 1 and use Paste Aligned to Selected Levels and put them on five other levels regardless of how many plan or ceiling plan views you might or might not have in the model yet. In contrast, while looking at a floor plan of Level 1, I can select all the walls and wall tags on that level...move to a floor plan view for Level 2 and use Paste Aligned Current View and I'll get all the walls and wall tags.

When your selection set includes annotation you'll find some of the choices are disabled in the list for Paste Aligned.

I think I understand it better now. Thank you, Steve! Appreciate your help!