PDA

View Full Version : Rectangular Roof Edge

sifuentes
2005-04-06, 04:18 PM
Hi, is it possible to model a rectangular edge along the sides perpendicular to the slope of a roof?

Thanks,

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-06, 04:19 PM
Hi, is it possible to model a rectangular edge along the sides perpendicular to the slope of a roof?

Thanks,Two cut square, set the fascia value to equal the thickness of the roof

aaronrumple
2005-04-06, 04:27 PM
A. Use an In place family to cut the edge of the roof.
B. Draw an opening perpendicular to the face of the roof.

Both can be difficult depending on the geometry.

B wouldn't be too bad, but the View, Orient to a plane doesn't work on surfaces less than 3.33/12 - so, so you need to cut a detail view. witch gets very fussy.

(...and I'm refering to the upper edge and sides, which the above setting doesn't adress.)

sifuentes
2005-04-06, 04:39 PM
Two cut square, set the fascia value to equal the thickness of the roof

Thanks Steve. I tried this one, but only the edge at the bottom of the slope is made square. The top edge remains vertical. The roof I have to model is a shed roof.

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-06, 04:44 PM
Thanks Steve. I tried this one, but only the edge at the bottom of the slope is made square. The top edge remains vertical.Yes, sorry...I missed your real point, that Aaron caught, that you wanted the top edge the same.
His suggestions are appropriate for what you need at the top. I'd be inclined to use an extruded void along the edge of the roof from the side elevation using the roof edge as the work plane.

There is always "roof by extrusion" too

sifuentes
2005-04-06, 04:47 PM
I'll try Aaron's suggestion. I'll et you know how it goes. Thanks to all.

sifuentes
2005-04-06, 05:24 PM
The perpendicular opening worked well, and fascias align to the new cut. There is a small offset from the resulting squere face to the reference planes used, but it is 1/128" so it's no big deal.

I'll try the extruded roof as well. Thanks.

sbrown
2005-04-06, 05:58 PM
an extruded roof will be much easier than the other solutions, all it takes is one line in your side elevation to define it., then in plan you can stretch it as needed for your overhangs.

J. Grouchy
2005-04-06, 06:16 PM
an extruded roof will be much easier than the other solutions, all it takes is one line in your side elevation to define it., then in plan you can stretch it as needed for your overhangs.

This was frustrating me...so I used this for my curved roof and it's beautiful! Well...as beautiful as a standing seam roof can be, that is...

sifuentes
2005-04-06, 07:04 PM
I tried the extruded roof as well, with two cut - square rafter and fascia depth = to roof thickness. The bottom edge of the shed roof is square, but the top is still vertical. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

aggockel50321
2005-04-06, 07:27 PM
You can also do the roof as in in-place family. Do it as a sweep, & you can model the profile you want.

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-06, 07:27 PM
I tried the extruded roof as well, with two cut - square rafter and fascia depth = to roof thickness. The bottom edge of the shed roof is square, but the top is still vertical. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sorry again...my quotes around "roof by extrusion" meant to mean making an "In-Place Roof" using an extruded solid. You get to sketch the profile of the roof this way.

Similar process to create it as a Roof > Roof by Extrusion except you only get to sketch the top edge of the roof. Should have been clearer!! :Oops:

J. Grouchy
2005-04-25, 02:23 PM
The roof cut works great and I've figured out how that works...but how do I get a fascia to conform to this cut as well? (See attached image)

captainbunsaver
2006-06-08, 10:30 PM
If you use the "two cut square" method with fascia, it produces a "fascia" attached to the horizontal bottom edge. Not exactly correct.
Is there no way to produce a true square cut edge?

TC