PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Family Files- "Specify Types"

anthro2019
2019-02-20, 04:59 PM
Hi,

After I activate my "window" or "door" command, when I load families for windows or doors, I've noticed that for some family files, I get a window called "Specify Types," where it gives me the option to choose my window sizes and doors.
But for some family files, I don't get this "Specify Types" and it automatically loads all the available sizes into my revit file.
Does anyone know why "Specify Types" window shows up for only certain family files?

Thank you for your help.

Steve_Stafford
2019-02-20, 06:14 PM
Families that have a separate Type Catalog (txt file named the same as the family in the same folder) open the Specify Types dialog to let you select some or all of the types. This is intended to allow us to only load the types we really need and exclude any irrelevant types. Imagine a Steel Beam, without the Type Catalog every project would have over a hundred sizes to scroll through each time you want to place a beam. This way you can load the 5-10 size you'll really use for "this" project. It also makes managing the types of families with many types a little easier, just add the new size to the text file instead of editing the family. Autodesk recommends considering a type catalog for families we make when there are more than 6 types, yes a somewhat arbitrary number...

Families that don't have a type catalog have all their types stored in the family itself, no Specify Types dialog appears.