PDA

View Full Version : Auto Rotating Labels

mgallin
2003-12-10, 03:51 AM
I am hoping to get some advice on using labels in annotations that have been placed in a wall based model family. When the model family is inserted the annotation rotates with the wall as expected. Unfortunately the label ends up oriented with the wall also. Is there a way to always have the text oriented horizontally and right side up? Also is there a way to leave a label blank (without the question mark)? If not what is the best work around.

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-10, 05:01 AM
If you examine a generic annotation label family in the Revit Annotation folder like: Label Annotation 1-16.rfa

Menu item: Settings > Family Categories and Parameters

You should find a check box for "Keep Text Readable" which if unchecked will let it rotate with the family...check it and it should comply.

I assume you have a nested label family, you'll need to adjust the original label and reload. Keep in mind that "Readable" is consistent with drafting standards of Left to Right...across a page or up the page.

mgallin
2003-12-10, 02:46 PM
Thank You - I didn't know about that "readable" setting. Do you also know how to leave a label blank without the question mark?

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-10, 03:45 PM
I don't know of a way to leave a label blank. I tried a "hard space" symbol pasted in but it didn't work.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-12-10, 04:57 PM
To create a blank you can use a "No-Break Space" via the windows character map.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/albums/revit/nb_space.gif

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-10, 05:48 PM
Tried that with Arial and it didn't work...?

mgallin
2003-12-10, 05:52 PM
I tried the no break space but it didn't work. Does it only work for certain fonts?

gregcashen
2003-12-10, 06:10 PM
Try this one...

mgallin
2003-12-10, 06:30 PM
That did it. Great trick - Thank You!

gregcashen
2003-12-11, 03:01 AM
Here is a little image I put together to show what happens if you insert labels into an annotation with the various settings set in the Family Category and Parameters menu

Readable has only the "Readable" setting selected in the label
Rotate has only the "Rotates with component" setting checked
Both has...both
Neither has...neither

It appears as though checking neither and just "rotate" does the same thing...so the default behavior is to rotate. Likewise, checking both and just "readable" seems to do the same thing.

P.S. How do you do in-line images in this forum??

beegee
2003-12-11, 03:20 AM
Hmmmm ........... bit like "what's wrong with this picture ? "

You post them to your own web site and link in the URL.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-12-11, 03:50 AM

if you need it greg, I can hook you up with some webspace.

bclarch
2003-12-11, 04:35 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. It would be very useful if the help files or tutorials contained more graphic images similar to the image that Greg created. Verbal desciptions alone often fall short. Penthesilea, if you are still monitoring this forum, this post's for you. :)

s.messing
2006-11-30, 09:35 PM
If you examine a generic annotation label family in the Revit Annotation folder like: Label Annotation 1-16.rfa

Menu item: Settings > Family Categories and Parameters

You should find a check box for "Keep Text Readable" which if unchecked will let it rotate with the family...check it and it should comply.

I assume you have a nested label family, you'll need to adjust the original label and reload. Keep in mind that "Readable" is consistent with drafting standards of Left to Right...across a page or up the page.
I am in the process of editing someone's wall hosted family to make the text always read left to right and am realizing that I can't get it to work. Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible? I went to the Family Category and Parameters and checked the box... to no avail.
Ideas?

Thanks,
Stephen