PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Modeling brick infill on old building

tracigarner68734770
2019-03-28, 08:02 PM
I am modeling an existing building that has bricked up arch top openings on one wall. In the past I have done this by replacing the glass in a fixed window family with brick; that method won't work in this case, as they have added doors and windows inside some of them. My thought is to cut wall openings (using Edit Profile), then add the brick infill, but I'm not sure that the infill will be recognized as a wall. I don't think I can model a generic brick extrusion and have doors and windows insert into it correctly.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem, and is there a magic Revit workaround (I'm not holding my breath)?

Thanks!

Bill Gilliss
2019-03-28, 10:09 PM
I'm working on just such a project. A little-appreciated fact about Revit walls is that they can overlap and you use JOIN to carve one from another. I create the main wall, then in plan place the infilled portion usually with a separate similar wall type, ignoring the "duplicate objects" warning. Then, in elevation, I use EDIT profile on the infill to create the arched top, and finally use JOIN, picking the main wall first and the infill wall second. You can edit the brick pattern of the infill to align coursing as needed. I do all this in the EXISTING phase, including any doors and windows added since the infill. New ones go in fine in NEW CONSTRUCTION or later phases.

tracigarner68734770
2019-03-29, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Bill! This works beautifully!