PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Revit Workflow and Dropbox

jcb777
2019-05-02, 02:21 PM
Can Revit workflow work when the Revit file is stored on Dropbox, with two of the users in two different locations?

david_peterson
2019-05-06, 03:03 PM
I've heard of it being done before. The results may not be desirable.

Bill Gilliss
2019-05-06, 04:41 PM
As long as the model is only in use by one person at a time, the Dropbox workflow should be okay.

The preferred solution is to use Collaborate for Revit, which lets multiple people work in a single cloud-hosted model simultaneously. It costs about $900 per year per person, but works great in my experience.

Steve_Stafford
2019-05-06, 08:43 PM
Only if you don't plan to work concurrently. Dropbox does not sync files fast enough to prevent two concurrent users from borrowing the same element at the same time. The first one that borrows and sync's wins and the other person won't be able to sync their work at all. They'll have to make a new local file.

If you work in different time zones, say 8 hours apart and your work doesn't overlap then you could host the file there. Latency might still get you once in awhile.

My choice...just say no to Dropbox...unless the time you spend and the work you do isn't valuable to you or your clients.