PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Saving model to Central to send out to other disciplines

harkeychad
2019-06-21, 02:14 PM
Someone in the office said that everyone needs to be out of the project for one person to open and and detach from central to clean it up and send to one of the disciplines. I thought I could open it this way while the rest of the team keeps working. Can you share the correct process for this. Thanks.

Steve_Stafford
2019-06-21, 05:21 PM
They probably said that so everyone is sync'd and there isn't any pending changes that ought to be included. When you open a Central File using Detach from Central (or any time really) you get whatever the current state of that model is. If several users have added worked but not sync'd then it won't have those changes. Having everyone sync is enough to accomplish that. They don't need to get out of the model but it would be good to have them stop making changes until you've got the DfC copy open.

harkeychad
2019-06-24, 01:18 PM
That is what I thought. Thanks.

david_peterson
2019-06-25, 02:00 PM
Slightly different process for us. We ask that everyone gets out or has at least saved and relinquished and stop working (for about 2mins) prior to pulling the model to an FTP.
We've seen issues when trying to drag and drop a file from the Project drive to the FTP site if people are actively making changes.
Models tended to end up corrupted.
But as Steve said, once you detach a file from the central it's a stand along copy. STC prior to detaching is just a good idea to make sure they get the latest and greatest.
No issues when we've used Rsync to to pull the file over though.

harkeychad
2019-06-26, 01:23 PM
I detach, save to a folder and get out of it. Open it up and save as with a new name to send. This way it is not at all part of the main model. Then I clean it up and take everything out of it. Makes the file to send a lot smaller.

lcarr735018
2019-06-27, 03:35 PM
When you copy the central file at anytime the copied version is always seen as a local version. Think of a local file as a portal to the central database(central file). It is still a part of the central database. To send a file to another discipline you should create a "portable" (detached) version of the central database. When you send a local file to a discipline, not only are you making it more difficult for them to use the model but you are sending them a "portal" that can no longer connect to the main database (central file). Corruption can occur and Revit can lose data. I find that people see detaching a model as doing the other person a favor. That is not the case. Detaching the file is performing the correct process to create a portable database for your consultants. I like to use E-Transmit. It adds metadata to the file that prepares it to be a portable version.

nmulder
2019-06-27, 06:01 PM
When you copy the central file at anytime the copied version is always seen as a local version. Think of a local file as a portal to the central database(central file). It is still a part of the central database. To send a file to another discipline you should create a "portable" (detached) version of the central database. When you send a local file to a discipline, not only are you making it more difficult for them to use the model but you are sending them a "portal" that can no longer connect to the main database (central file). Corruption can occur and Revit can lose data. I find that people see detaching a model as doing the other person a favor. That is not the case. Detaching the file is performing the correct process to create a portable database for your consultants. I like to use E-Transmit. It adds metadata to the file that prepares it to be a portable version.

eTransmit is the way to go! It makes the job easier for the sender and recipient.